Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows explorer has stopped working

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

windows explorer has stopped working

Is this a "feature" of Vista?
I use XP and don`t have any problems....  My wife has Vista on her laptop, and has had some problems which I have resolved with S&D  & Eusing Reg cleaner, also used AVG to clear out any suspect bits  (she had a trojan virus)
However, she has complained that everytime she closes a window, she gets the message
  "Windows Explorer has stopped working"
with a mobile bar underneath, and a message saying windows will try to find a solution. (never seems to though!)
after it has been on screen for about 30 seconds, it disappears, and all the icons on the desktop disappear, only to re-appear as if the computer was re-booting....
so is it something else I have to sort out? or is it similar to the standard  "you started this action do you want to continue" message?
thanks

11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: windows explorer has stopped working

Don't have Vista myself, but there is a rather large thread on it here:
http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=1260280&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This seems to be a common problem.
There is a solution which may work but you will need a Vista install disk not a silly recover or restore disk.
This uses the built in Vista tools to fix problems http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2231/vista_run_system_file_checker
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks to both for replies..... having a look at the link adiewoo provided, it appears it has been around since  2007, so it is surprising that none of the malware/spybot type software has managed to kill it off !.... I have run the latest update on S&D and run that, it has found no end of cookies, and a lot of other stuff, which I have immunised but it is still happening..... the laptop seems to be running a lot faster now since I also did a AVG scan too..... Am running the malwarbytes prog at the mo, and then if it is still there will try Jim`s suggestion.... have the original Vista CD supplied with the laptop, so should be o.k
Trouble is, "er indoors" will go back to loads of sites that ask for her email address, and she will give it out without thinking,  I removed over 1,000 messages in her "Junk Mail" folder.... and another 700 SPAM types from her in box.....
she complained that I shouldn`t do that     "....... because I haven`t read them all, and I might need them"    Roll_eyes Roll_eyes Roll_eyes
Oh well, it keeps me off the streets, (edit)  and stops me mugging old ladies, and vandalising phone boxes ! ! !  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its SWMBO not  Old Lady
shutter
Community Veteran

PP see my edit.....  you misread the post! 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thought you were talking about  "er indoors", managed to train my one not to click on anything without asking,  but cant stop here shutting down when I want to apply the upgardes.  Thought I had her (Really my Video) machine in reasonable order, but when she switches on, at least once a week it objects, irrecoverable problems and then reboots.  Doest worry me, just keeps her moaning level up to par.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Tell me about it, mine only wants to hibernate and restart her laptop, never wants to reboot or install updates.
Then she wonders why things go a bit wrong, no matter how many times I ask her to reboot once every couple of weeks...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran

Hi guys............. back again.......... adiwoo, .... looks like I will have to dig deep into the link you gave, as unfortunately  Sad
old jim`s link and instructions did not work.....  Cry
after the malwarebytes had finished, there were 40 more adware infections, which I immunised before running the  file checker.. so... she will have to live with it for a while.....  Grin  Grin  Grin

samuria
Grafter

Oldjims fix repairs files that have changed back to the old ones it doesnt fix any add on files. Its a matter of just keep going with spybot adaware etc until you win.
Doing the immunize is actually frightening it adds thousands of lines to your registery.
Your problem will be whats running at startup as lot of this stuff runs at startup and once it hooked in  its hard to get rid of as its designed that if you delete it comes back. Also a lot is designed to download more stuff as well.
I would use startup cpl free from http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml  and run it and stop everything from running at startup (its easy to retick it and put it back) then run spybot etc when its got nothing running.
Its worth watching if you stop everything close the program wait a few mins and reopen and there is something due to run again at startup thats your problem as any good malware/virus will reinsert its self in the startup as its running and protecting its self
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Samurai,  I have bookmarked the link, ready to use if I get inclined to have another go...... fortunately, it is not my computer, and I do not have the thing recurring on my screen,  She has had so much stuff like this happening, it is "normal" to her ! ! ! ! .... Cheesy
But it bugs me when she keeps saying, "can you fix my computer, it isn`t working properly!"  regardless of how many times I warn her about stuff  Sad
samuria
Grafter

On the same site is startup monitor
http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
Put that on as it stops anything adding its self to startup so it stop 90% of malware as long as the user says no when asked to allow it its free and works well