cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows XP/ PRO

Brickinit
Grafter

windows XP/ PRO

Hi does anyone have an unregistered copy of windows XP or XP PRO for sale, not too bothered if it is a full version or OEM, full would be better though. Bought a second hand computer with XP installed but turns out to be a pirate copy  Sad
11 REPLIES 11
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: windows XP/ PRO

The pirate copies are always XP Pro. so you cannot use an XP Home disk unless you wipe the hard drive and reload.  Using an OEM copy of Windows on an old machine would go against Microsoft's terms and conditions (although I can't see they have any way of knowing you did it).  Retail copies of Windows are ridiculously expensive; why don't you go with the Microsoft deal to legitimise your copy of XP Pro for £90?  That is close to the price of an OEM copy. 
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Fire Linux on its free, harder to get it to do some things, but still, Its free!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Looks like we could have another Microsoft v Open source debate on our hands Wink Lips_are_sealed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Brickinit
Grafter

i'm afraid my problem is i bought a Vista upgrade thinking i could just upgrade to Vista, before i realised XP PRO was not legit not really looking at throwing another £90 at this, what started as a cheap machine is starting to spirral.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Problem is easily solved.
Wipe XP Pro install Vista but when asked for code ignore it to register later
After install install Vista again and it will accept it as an upgrade
Brickinit
Grafter

thanks for that Jim i'll give that a try when i have time,
hope the weather cheers up a bit so you can enjoy your rambling in Darzet.wouldn't have been much fun over the purbecks today.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Brickinit
i'm afraid my problem is i bought a Vista upgrade thinking i could just upgrade to Vista, before i realised XP PRO was not legit not really looking at throwing another £90 at this, what started as a cheap machine is starting to spirral.

If the computer was designed for XP it may struggle to run Vista.  Even some machines that bear the Microsoft label "Windows Vista Capable" struggle to run Vista.  You'll need at least 1 GByte of RAM memory, preferably 2 GB.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If you can wait 3 months Windows 7 may well be a better bet than Vista.
You can still pre-order it cheaply, but not very cheaply (as earlier in the week).
It's generally going to be easier to rectify performance shortfalls and get W7 running than Vista. A 2GHz processor and 1GB RAM (2  is better) will suffice for basic use and it's more forgiving on the video card front.
Brickinit
Grafter

oldjim thanks very much worked exactly how you said, much appreciated
silverfoxy
Dabbler

ccl on line do cheap xp and os disk have a look at them i know we paid 55 quid for ours and that was with delivery by courier they are based in bradford west yorkshire they also supplie schools etc
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Those are OEM versions - not transferable from one machine to another