cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows 8 and ports killing me

warbleeder
Grafter

windows 8 and ports killing me

im trying to run SQL servers on windows 8 ... 
however i can not remote connect to port 3306... when ive checked ports its listed as filtered
things that ive triple checked
1. ports open in router
2. ports open in windows crap wall
3. windows file wall disabled
4. windows defender disabled
5. windows firewall services stopped
6. changed i.p of SQL from 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.x.x (pc i.p
cant figure it out any ideas please
28 REPLIES 28
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: windows 8 and ports killing me

do you have a proper firewall solution installed on the windows 8 machine ?
you can create firewall rules for sql under windows firewall but its a PITA much simpler to use something like mcafee that has the ability to modify all those firewall rules though a simpler to use GUI, whenever I tried to manually create the allow rules it never worked because I forgot to add in the extra command line bits to open them for all ports then restrict the ports to a couple .....
mcafee does all that for me so much simpler and unlike windows firewall if I switch the mcafee one off it doesn't continue working just in case I didn't mean to disable it /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Can you access your SQL databases from a machine on your LAN?  If so, it's nothing to do with Windows firewall settings.
There are two further areas to look at - The router and the firewall that Plusnet provide on your connection.  The latter can be checked (and turned off) by going to
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
Note that if you make a change to the PN firewall that you will have to drop your connection and reconnect for the change to take effect.
Regarding the router, you don't say which one you are using.  If it's the TG582n there is a problem with port forwards in that they only work to machines that have acquired an address from the router via DHCP.  If you are using this router, and you've configured your machine with a static IP address, try changing it to DHCP and configuring the router to always offer the same address.
HTH
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also remember that SQL Server needs to be configured to use TCP and then to listen to the Interfaces on the specified port, as the default is Shared Memory. You can make these changes using the SQL Server Configuration Manager.
In addition to that you may also need to include the SQL Instance name as part of your connection process from the remote client.
warbleeder
Grafter

windows firewall is 100% disabled... i even stopped all the services for it
i have no other firewall.... i even stopped and disabled all services related to windows defender
all ports are open netgear wnr1000 (dose not have PN firmware i updated it)
PN firewall is disabled
(bangs head on desk)... because when i get to bottom of it... it will more than likely be something stupidly simple
i know i have other ports open.... because when i run my game server i can connect and play with no issues
on data base im running
website... works no problem
hmail... works no problem
game server works no problems when i have it running
just remote connect via port 3306 i have issues with
im using uniserver for SQL apache php ect if that helps anyone
warbleeder
Grafter

p.s i commented stuff out in uniserver mysql file... and i changed I.P from 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.x.x
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Are we talking SQL Server as from your first post, or MySQL as in  your last post?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: pwatson
Can you access your SQL databases from a machine on your LAN?
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: warbleeder
p.s i commented stuff out in uniserver mysql file... and i changed I.P from 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.x.x

If by this you mean the address the server is binding the port to, rather than using you systems IP address, try using 0.0.0.0.
warbleeder
Grafter

sorry its mysql not sql..... im using uniserver .... portable database that has MYSQL apache php etc
and yes the binding i.p ill try 0.0.0.0 shortly but i doubt it will make any difference to be fair
i think its something to do with win 8... as i have run it on win 7 before without a issue
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: pwatson
Can you access your SQL databases from a machine on your LAN?

Third time lucky...
A straightforward question and the answer will determine if it is a SQL config issue or a router problem. 
warbleeder
Grafter

ill try on laptop shortly using navicat
warbleeder
Grafter

soo i binded to 0.0.0.0 and still filtered
# SERVER SECTION The following options will be read by the MySQL Server.
[mysqld]
bind-address=0.0.0.0
port=3306
server-id= 1
pid-file=mysql.pid
default-character-set=utf8
default-storage-engine=MYISAM
/bangs head
warbleeder
Grafter

so now im considering SSH tunnel.... anyone done this before?
pwatson
Rising Star

Unless you have proved that the SQL server is running OK and is contactable on you LAN you're wasting your time looking at ways of accessing it from elsewhere.
I've suggested that you confirm that all is well on your LAN three times now with no result...