cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows 7

Teds31
Grafter

windows 7

I haven't seen much on the forum regarding the pro and cons of windows 7,(I may have missed it) but with Amerzon now offering a pre-order price which seems very good,has anyone inside info on it.
51 REPLIES 51
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: windows 7

If you're a student it is available cheaper than that. £30 for either Home  or Professional.
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/
God
Grafter

I have been running the RC for quite a while. I have two copies on pre-order which hopefully tells you that I thoroughly approve of what I have seen!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I'm going to be forced to buy a laptop soon.
I hate laptops, especially Windows laptops.
Will I get the best deal before or after Christmas?
Will Windows 7 be the new Vista?
Does Windows 7 work in 64 bit mode on 64 bit laptops - as opposed to "well most stuff works"?
For example, can it run a 64 bit browser with 32 bit plugins?
Indeed, can it run 32 bit software in a 64 bit environment?
I'm not bothered about drivers too much, because I don't expect $MS to support my printer.
I'll just have to print to PDF files, for actual printing with my Linux desktop.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

Mr Evil - as you hate Windows, how about a 'barebones' laptop:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/174473
Looks like a good deal to me. In the reviews there are a number of references to the Ubuntu forum where someone describes his experience of using Linux on it.
As for Windows 7, have heard such glowing reports that the pre-order price of less than £50 for the full version was too good an opportunity to miss. However, I shall feel a bit sad to say goodbye to my Vista Business Edition 'cos it has been absolutely fine.  Also, in a way I don't know why I am bothering as Ubuntu is also working beautifully and does most things that I want and need very well indeed. I suppose that it will be nice to have a play with W7 though.
VileReynard
Hero

It's a Daughter, University thing. Embarrassed
I would try a bare-bones PC, given half a chance, but I'm not...
Just wonder why it takes M$ many years to develop an OS that's virtually the same as the previous one.
Are the price reductions because Windows 7 isn't much good - even compared to Vista?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I just got a new laptop, less than 6 months old, with Vista Home Premium installed..... so is this Windows 7 supposed to replace Vista?  If so, will it mean that Vista will not get any updates/hotfixes/etc., as the old XP has now gone defunct as far as Microsoft is concerned... If so... How long before no mor upgrades?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@Shutter http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=11712
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Thanks for the linky, Strat, seems that Vista is good for about 5 years..... I`ll probably get another new laptop then!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@axisofevil:
Will I get the best deal before or after Christmas?
not sure.
Will Windows 7 be the new Vista?
Don't think so, it works for me.
Does Windows 7 work in 64 bit mode on 64 bit laptops - as opposed to "well most stuff works"?
Yes.
For example, can it run a 64 bit browser with 32 bit plugins?
Not sure, however...
Indeed, can it run 32 bit software in a 64 bit environment?
Yes. Had no issues with this at all.
I'm liking windows 7.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

An interesting article from today's Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703298004574459293141191728.html
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Also here re boot up times http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10370369-56.html
However these tests were without a network connected and we all know that really slows down Vista and presumably Windows 7
VileReynard
Hero

Will it still be possible to buy Windows XP for a new machine?
I know it's slow - but it doesn't seem that much slower than Windows 7.
My Ubuntu PC is still starting in the same time as 6 months ago - slightly quicker than a new Windows 7 machine.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have still got an old machine running XP (it was a full upgrade) so as long as I can find an Me or 98 disk I can put it on a new machine,
That is why I never buy OEM versions
matt_2k34
Grafter

Hey
Been using Windows 7 Professional (x64) on my Samsung R700 laptop since early hours of friday morning (Thanks MSDN Smiley heh)
(Reason for using 64 bit over 32bit was just because i wanted to see how poorly supported it is, i was pleasantly mistaken)
Everything laptoppy works great (FN key apps, touchpad, wifi and lan all worked on MS drivers) - install was insanely fast and GUI based (same as vista), even Daemon tools (which i really expected to cause serious problems) installed and runs a treat! (with ONE exception - itunes 9.1 likes to munch system resources when sync'ing, but it did this on vista for me also)
Few things :
-Theres no "classic" start menu option - so if you like scrolling through pages and pages and pages of apps from your start menu - prepare to be disappointed
-Quicklaunch has gone (or rather been hidden) - Taskbar behaves in a very different way and it *does* take some getting used to - after about 4/5 hours using it though i found it very simple.
-Systray Icons are now hidden by default (Up arrow brings you a little Aero-styled window with the icons in ... great for saving space) - You can drag them next to the clock if you would prefer though.
-Paint has been updated (Sadly im actually quite happy with this, does more shapes and much more functional than ever, 'ribbon' interface)
-WMP Actually works ! - doesnt take a month of sundays to load like under vista, also videomode now supports always ontop, minimode is actually decent aswell (sits at size of the album art, so is just a small box)
-Network connections is easier than ever, one click gives you a menubar filled with wireless networks available, click once to bring up network & Sharing center
-Notifications - allows you to set what apps can notify you and will only notify you if you let it (saves trawling through each individual apps settings)
-Aero runs uber smoothly when cpu usage is high (Vista seemed to get choppy?)
-Dragging windows to the top of the screen will maximise, frustrating when i first used it as i couldnt grasp not dragging too far to the top (this is customisable though!)
-Taskbar still does the Aero previews only its better.. - Example you hover over the IE tab in the taskbar, it will then give you a preview of EACH tab, so you can go back to which page you were looking at, same applies to WLM, Outlook etc.

Useful website for people on windows 7: http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2009/01/12/the-bumper-list-of-windows-7-secrets.aspx (tells you how you can get quicklaunch back if you REALLY must have it - but in all seriousness the new dock-styled approach to the taskbar is *much* more functional.

I disagree with the bootup and shutdown speeds though.. Vista 32bit home premium i had on here before, you could turn it on - go get a drink sit down and its still loading the desktop, Windows 7 takes alot less indeed for me!
as for 64-bit browser.. i would deem it not ideal atm, Mainly because 32bit plugins do NOT work on the 64bit version, you have to download them all again (java,flash etc.) - also some sites seem to not render correctly in the 64 bit browser than in the 32 bit version!
Drivers arent really an issue because you can just use Vista Drivers (for most stuff), Also you can tweak how apps behave by running them in compatability mode, for instance WLM gives you two items on the taskbar just for the main window (and not one in the systray) however running the app in vista compatability mode puts just one in the taskbar and brings back the systray icon (although obviously, it will be hidden in the customizable bit)
So far one very happy customer, if theres anything in particular you want to know feel free to ask, i cant see anything i have missed out so far though!
Pros: Excellent,stable and fast
Cons: Avg user may be unhappy with the 'forced' interface changes, however after putting in some time being frustrated this turns into a benefit.

Edit: Sorry for the monster post Shocked However i hope you find some stuff in there interesting / helpful Smiley
Edit #2: Got bored so i thought id add some pictures, for people wondering what the UI looks like, without the standard boring "look at the desktop!!" view.