cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows 7 backup

morgan2476
Grafter

windows 7 backup

I don't know if I am doing this right.  I backed up certain files and directories a number of weeks ago.  Today I did a backup and I thought that the destination file would read updated today.  However, it just has the creation date.  Could someone give me a procedure for backing up.  (I back up on an External drive.)
13 REPLIES 13
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: windows 7 backup

Make life easy - buy Acronis backup! http://www.acronis.co.uk/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
hadden
Grafter

I'm going to assume you are not currently using backup software. If you backed up by copying the files to the external drive, the "modified date" won't change. This is a good thing.
If you compare the modified date on the original file with the date on the backup, and they are the same, you don't need to backup that file this time. You only need to backup/copy those files that show a modified date more recent than the last backup.
It is up to you if you manually copy all files every time or select only the modified files. The former takes no time to select the required files and the latter should take less time to actually copy.
The above assumes you are doing the backup manually. Backup software can do the modified date comparison automatically.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

if it is only a limited number of files and folders then use SyncToy http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=15155
Razer
Grafter

^Being aware that SyncToy has a tendency to backup files/folders you have specifically set not to back up, or may ignore files/folders you have specifically set to back up.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I haven't found that problem
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Test your Windows backup thus:
Choose the restore option.
Choose to restore files.
Pick a file that was added or changed recently.
By default the file will be restored to its original destination; you do not want to do that!
Choose the option to restore the file to a new location.
Restore the file.
Compare it with the original version to see if it does incorporate the recent changes.
(If it was added recently then merely finding the file amongst those available to restore proves that it was backed-up).
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Razer
^Being aware that SyncToy has a tendency to backup files/folders you have specifically set not to back up, or may ignore files/folders you have specifically set to back up.

Or delete files that were supposed to be backed up thus leaving you with neither the original OR the backup  Roll_eyes (yes, I learned my lesson!)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've never seen either of those problems with SyncToy.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Me neither.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: jelv
I've never seen either of those problems with SyncToy.

Try letting it manage a partition with 30GB and working out the differences on a daily basis. It was fine with me for many months and then one day (having got itself somehow confused) it decided it wanted to wipe a load of stuff from both locations  Shocked
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter

Yes, ran fine for me for some time, then decided to go nuts and do/not do what I said, and what you said (which I had forgotten about).
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I've just bought a Samsung Windows 7 laptop (must emphasize it's not for me!).
Obviously Windows 8 would be a sad joke. Crazy
It keeps saying I haven't configured backup.
What does it mean by backup?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shalom2010
Grafter