Did you mean: 

windows 10

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: windows 10

Quote from: w23
Quote from: Oldjim
The one problem - it apparently doesn't give the option of dual boot so if something important doesn't work in Win 10 you are knackered
Where did you hear that?
It came from the fact - I thought I read it somewhere - that the upgrade will be offered via the Windows Update
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Ah, that would make sense Jim.
I wonder if any .iso download will be available as an alternative install method (as it is with the Technical Preview), guess we'll probably only know when the time comes.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I think Jim may be correct , they are going to make it harder to Dual boot
http://www.windows10update.com/2015/03/windows-10-will-make-dual-booting-harder-by-requiring-uefi-se...
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
chrcoluk
Grafter

there is no way they will enforce that, it would devastate market share as many many machines are not uefi capable.
That article is referring to OEM's who want the logo on their products.
Regarding installing clean instead of a messy upgrade, I expect it be possible but microsoft wont make it easy, for whatever reason they seem to be pushing for people to do an upgrade instead of clean install.
On windows 8 I get my "upgrade" key to work fine on a clean 8.1 iso by removing a file on the iso, it then allows the OS to be installed without a key, the upgrade key can then be used to activate post install.  The same method will probably work on windows 10 providing microsoft supply keys.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

MS have said they will provide .iso downloads options for people to use to make the install just as they did with the tech preview for those with older machines.
the uefi complication is that machines with it wont be able to duel boot as things stand right now, possibly something they will change closer to the launch date to enable duel boot systems.
the qualifying os will no longer be useable once win10 has been installed (7/8.1) if your using the free version, there is no mention of if you buy a new OS what functionality will be possible, personally I would like the ability to buy a trial OS that isn't linked to a current windows key so I can see if its worth upgrading and still have the ability to revert to the previous OS if something I need no longer functions
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Oldjim
Resting Legend

reference please for the ISO download option as I haven't seen that
w23
Pro

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-iso
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is the preview - we are discussing the full release version
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Since it hasn't been released there will not be any (release) iso's available surely?
w23
Pro

That is the preview - we are discussing the full release version
But only the preview exists, what will be available on release remains, IMO, nothing but speculation.
Call me 'w23'
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: nanotm
MS have said they will provide .iso downloads options for people to use to make the install just as they did with the tech preview for those with older machines.
This was what triggered my request for a reference
w23
Pro

nothing but speculation.
Lips_are_sealed
Call me 'w23'
nanotm
Pro

it was mentioned in one of the press releases the other day when they confirmed the upgrade options and that it will be free for pirated users although as they wouldn't be the latest version would require to download the .iso
there was a nifty graphic showing all the various types of windows that could be upgraded to 10 for free and so long as they were legit copies would get a fully functionality, it also suggest that you could leap from a 32bit os to a 64bit os or vice versa as part of the chosen upgrade but because normal update route wouldn't be possible then you would have to get the .iso download, something that would apparently be published by MS and to get your personal download link you would have to give them a valid cd key for your current OS
but until they release the full details of what the "free" upgrade will be I'm not about to jump on that bandwagon, I'm keen for them to release W10 though so I can get a real world hands on with a finished product (the tech preview was pretty good but a lot of existing stuff just wouldn't work) hopefully that wont be the case once it becomes a retail product Smiley
nanotm
Pro

nothing but speculation.
Lips_are_sealed

or was it http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-to-launch-this-summer-with-free-upgrades-for-pirated-copies/
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: HPsauce
I ask because I have a clean install W10 and it shows the same options.
One day, just for fun, I chose the Earlier Version and it rolled back to the previous W10 build.
Sorry, red herring, the wording is different, it is just a rollback (within W10).  Embarrassed