Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows 10

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: windows 10

The upgrade to W10 introduces some interesting licensing issues, as it will depend on what the original licence type was (e.g. OEM or full retail) and what terms Microsoft "offer" for the upgrade.
Definitely can't assume (at this stage) that any/all of the original (pre-upgrade) terms carry over.
Oddly, in the past, many "upgrade" licences tended to be less restrictive than the base license, but we will see.  Lips_are_sealed
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@Jim , i did not say nowt  at the activate screen it gives the option to activate by phone , you just type in your key as required , then they give you a  series of numbers to key in the boxes .
Hey presto     its genuine again  Cool
the box is like below but for UK  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
The upgrade to W10 introduces some interesting licensing issues, as it will depend on what the original licence type was (e.g. OEM or full retail) and what terms Microsoft "offer" for the upgrade.

As someone who currently dual boots Win8.1/Linux, I would be very wary of installing Win10 OEM.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/windows-10-to-make-the-secure-boot-alt-os-lock...
"At its WinHEC hardware conference in Shenzhen, China, Microsoft talked about the hardware requirements for Windows 10. The precise final specs are not available yet, so all this is somewhat subject to change, but right now, Microsoft says that the switch to allow Secure Boot to be turned off is now optional. Hardware can be Designed for Windows 10 and can offer no way to opt out of the Secure Boot lock down.
The presentation is silent on whether OEMS can or should provide support for adding custom certificates."
chrcoluk
Grafter

again this only applies to OEM hardware.
its never been good practice to use OEM versions of windows anyway.
Think about it, my laptop is back from 2007, it came with vista basic.  I have since tripled its ram, added an ssd and even swapped out the cpu, as wella s putting on win7 64bit so its modernised but still has no uefi capability, are microsoft going to lock out my hardware with a secure boot requirement? no, they want me as an extra windows 10 user.
The lockout is basically NEW manufactured hardware that comes with OEM windows will have to have secure boot enabled.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

reading this it looks like , if you are going to build your own PC secure boot would be able to be disabled but a prebuilt PC would be locked  Embarrassed
so if you want to duel boot you would be better to self build or get one built with no installed OS
http://www.techspot.com/news/60132-microsoft-leaving-option-disable-secure-boot-up-oems.html
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

i was told that win 10 was a free upgrade for 12 months then you pay full price to keep it. If it really is free how many of you will upgrade Huh Im currently using win 7 and it basicly does what i need from a computer only thing i no longer use is ie im now using chrome.
nanotm
Pro

whoever told you that was smoking some funny stuff.....
M$ has said the first 12 months after W10 release the upgrade will be free, if you miss the free 12 months upgrade window then you will pay for it....

they are going to provide support much the same way as they currently do for office 365 (you get the latest version for free for life) and according to one blog they plan to raise the income for this from one off sales of new licences and taking a percentage on every windows store purchase, so you wont actually pay for the OS updates (so long as enough people buy stuff in the store)
its a risky gamble but it also ensures if your not paying for the licence they don't need to allow other store providers for windows ...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
chrcoluk
Grafter

The reason MS have gone this route is the market has changed.
The days of large upfront fee's for operating systems are gone.  The future revenue stream will be from the following.
Premium support
Revenue from apps in app store
Possible subscription fees for OS addons
Possible revenue from OS addons (non subscription)
Licensing fees for patented stuff
Corporate revenues (as of now still going very strong)
nanotm
Pro

indeed there sales of small systems such as xbox and mobile devices coupled with the corporate revenues will prop up any income shortfall and will likely see them greatly reduce the price tag on their products going forwards, the problem will be if any competitor pops up offering to do things as cheaply,
it probably doesn't hurt that they will likely get huge revenue streams off people wanting to use services like Cortana on competing platforms, already I have heard kids talking about how they will be getting cortana when it gets released later in the year for their I-chav or droid based devices  more so since the few windows phone trend setters just got the 8.1 update  at the weekend ......
personally my only real concern is will  the W10 upgrade be a like for like for free or will it be that we have to pay from the start to maintain the extra's in the current iterations through the "pro" package ....
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

One advantage of win10 is it will be the only OS with DX12 , which is not backward compatible with earlier OS,s /
if i read correctly  Shocked
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

IE 11 has been relegated to a Legacy engine and will no longer be upgraded .
Internet Explorer 11 is purely included in Windows 10 as "an effective solution for legacy scenarios and enterprise customers"
http://www.techspot.com/news/60155-internet-explorer-11-now-legacy-engine-thanks-spartan.html
chrcoluk
Grafter

windows 10 is currently somewhat of a mess, still lots of bugs a weird half done UI, I wonder if microsoft are been sensible announcing a cutoff point for release instead of releasing it "when its ready".
nanotm
Pro

that would depend on the share price based on the announcement/
I did read that with the new AR headset thing the current half assed UI will work perfectly but I guess it would depend on the pricing of that headset as to whether they will sell them or not /
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Are you going to upgrade then rongtw
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Yup Ste , got to have dx12  Cheesy