Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

win 8 Free ?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

win 8 Free ?

they must be getting desperate for you to have win8
http://www.techspot.com/news/55851-microsoft-contemplating-free-version-of-windows-81-for-windows-7-...
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
37 REPLIES 37
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: win 8 Free ?

Free or not, I still wouldn't instal it.
Hate it on my daughter's laptop and it offers nothing over W7 Pro for me.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've tried Windows 8 in the past, it lasted a couple of day's on my pc before I went back to Windows 7.
Windows 7 is the best operating Microsoft have released so far, there going to have a tough job getting people to change to Windows 8 even when it's free & an even tougher job getting people of Windows 7 when support end's in 2020.
NedLudd
Grafter

Hmmm. Not for me! I'll stick with Windows 7! Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
steveuk
Grafter

My pc hates windows 8 tryed many times and it always failed badly but now i am using windows 8.1 and it all works great, yes metro sucks so i fixed that with classic shell and i can honestly say its working as good if not better than windows 7 now.
I was a hater but mainly because metro really is useless for a desktop pc like mine but now i have classic shell i can't really notice any diff between 7 and 8.1 and even most my mates think i am still using win 7.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: steveuk
now i have classic shell i can't really notice any diff between 7 and 8.1 and even most my mates think i am still using win 7.

To SOME extent I'd agree, and my wife's PC is like that and she's fairly happy. But 2 things really annoy me:
1. Metro apps will still appear by default (she thinks at random) until you fix the relevant file associations. Usually opening email attachments.
2. The graphics are just plain crippled; I LOATHE the dumbed-down W8 graphics which make the function of everything much less obvious.
steveuk
Grafter

I don't get the metro apps poping up personly but i supose thats because of how i use my pc, i don't use apps at all and i never link my email to programs such as outlook. It's very rare i will open attachments in an email but i dont use emails for important things.
Your could say this is my gaming/media system use for enjoyment and not much else lol.
Yes the dumbed down graphics make 8 look like something from the 80's but i dont look at the desktop or boxes long enough to let it bother me.
I do agree that some things need tweaking but overall windows 8 is not as bad as it was made out to be.
Most people just hate change so will go out there way to make a program look bad because they do not like it.
I do hate metro its not usefull in anyway to me and i find it very annoying and ugly, I have a lot of data and programs on this system and trying to find anything on the metro screen is like trying to find a needle in haystack.
I could use the serch function to find my programs but this means i gotta bring up the serch type what i am looking for and wait for it to be found then click to load that program up but with classic shell it takes 2 clicks and program is there and i dont have to type anything or get up to pick the keyboard up if its on the floor (i don't use a desk)
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I still use Win7HP and am more than happy to stick with it. Granted I don't normally turn away freebies but in the case of Win8 I'll turn down MS's offer lol.
Seriously I've played with a few of the latest laptops / netbooks in the supermarkets which have win8 and I seriously dislike it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

What, it's that good they can't even GIVE IT AWAY  Grin Cheesy Grin  Tongue
LoL  Lips_are_sealed
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Microsoft has got rid of many of the developers behind W8 and it is rumoured that a major update is due at the end of this month.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: Hairy
What, it's that good they can't even GIVE IT AWAY  Grin Cheesy Grin  Tongue
LoL  Lips_are_sealed

Yeah.... Just like Linux  Grin Grin Grin
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Lol  Grin
Wondered when the bashers would appear  Huh
BTW Linux isn't given away to a certain group, it is FREE always to all users all the time  ;D.
CX
Grafter

What's so difficult about installing something like Classic Shell (free)? That way you get the improvements in Windows 8 without having to use the Metro interface.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

ah but they think windows 9 is out soon  Grin
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-9-release-date-news-and-rumours-102...
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Hairy
Lol  Grin
Wondered when the bashers would appear  Huh

First one turned up in post 8 lol (you)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!