cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

win 7 homegroups and ipv6

amcclean
Rising Star

win 7 homegroups and ipv6

I have a desktop Windows 7 Home premium and a netbook with Windows starter. I have setup the homegroup on the premuim and the netbook can see it.
I have installed ipv6 setup on the desktop and the netbook. Each has a local ipv6 address but I do not know what to uses as the ipv6 dns.
My current router linksys wag354g does not as I am aware list a ipv6 section. To use homegroups do I need to change my router or can it work using local ipv6 addresses directly.
cheers,
for the help,
Podman
10 REPLIES 10
artificer
Grafter

Re: win 7 homegroups and ipv6

i don't think we've moved to ipv6 yet.  what happens if you disable it and use ipv4?
Waldo
Grafter

AIUI HomeGroup uses PNRP which requires IPv6
amcclean
Rising Star

If IPV6 is not installed then Windows 7 will not let you anywhere near creating the homegroups as it is a requirement.
Would IPV6 work locally if the router could handle it or is it basically a software thing that should work between the windows pc's themselves without the need to buy a replacement router.
podman
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I don't think PNRP is an internet standard.
It's some kind of Microsoft only thing.
You could always put IPV6 addresses in your hosts files... Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Waldo
Grafter

This post on sevenforums claims Homegroup works fine with an IPv4-only router. Reading the whole thread might be helpful (I've no experience of Win7 / Homegroups).
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

And why wouldn't it, presumably the router is just a switch in the local network?
Waldo
Grafter

I'd have thought so (but the OP's question has become so common I was beginning to wonder...)  Shocked
amcclean
Rising Star

Turns out that my issue is with the FREE avg that I have (HAD) loaded on my netbook. I uninstalled it and all works fine.
Free AVG blocks the use of IPV6. Even if you use the registry hack to turn ipv6 on in the registry AVG gets in there at boot up and turns it off by correcting the registry change. Complete missuse of power if you ask me. They have no right to continually turn off a feature in windows so they can charge money. They can offer extra features to their program no problem but to start turning off standard bits of windows is in my book not on.
thanks for all your help.
Podman
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you search with Google for windows ipv6 bugs, you get a lot of hits.
M$ don't have much experience with ipv6 - perhaps thats why your virus checker switched  it off.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

matt_2k34
Grafter

(for the record) theres "IPv6 to IPv4" (or Toredo) which means that an IPv4 device (e.g. your router) will be able to communicate with an IPv6 device.
Toredo Tunneling

@A Fox is Evil
Support for Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6), a new suite of standard protocols for the Network layer of the Internet, is built into the latest versions of Microsoft Windows, which include Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP with Service Pack 2, Windows XP with Service Pack 1, Windows XP Embedded SP1, and Windows CE .NET.

Thats quite a range of their software, bit harsh to say that dont have "much experience" with it. Also if you search the MS ipv6 pages, they're actually quite informative.
(Microsoft does have its plus points occassionally) Smiley
@Podman, glad you've sorted it mate Smiley