cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi extender

welshviking1
Dabbler

wifi extender

Hi, Since I have been with Plusnet the wifi is very poor, albeit I do live in a very large house. My son who has his Xbox upstairs is always complaining the wifi is ruddy awful and my wife on her iPad gets a poor signal in the lounge. My other son has his Xbox in the same room as the router about 12ft away and he has no problem whatsoever and says it is a superb connection. My router is in the study which is approx 50ft away from the lounge (through 3 walls). I do use an old Netgear wifi extender (WN3000RP) which is plugged in on the upstairs landing outside my son's bedroom and worked very well on sky but abysmal on Plusnet. Any ideas on a better wifi extender or simply anything I can do to help the wifi although I am guessing the size of my house I will need an extender. The router I am using is the white one with the fluorescent blue light on it which does seem a poor router on wifi compared to my old sky one...Cheers Colin

10 REPLIES 10
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: wifi extender

You could try getting a better router i use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-DSL-AC56U-Wireless-Dual-Band-Connections/dp/B016BWRBVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...

But you might want to try one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-N66U-802-11a-Multimedia-Wireless/dp/B005T3TIBK/ref=pd_sim_147_7?_en...

A new router might help... a friend of mine is in a big house and he uses the Asus RT N66U and his family all manage to game,stream... etc without any issues.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@welshviking1 this one... ( similar ) http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3234172?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:200290250|agid:12504951290|ti...

IS cheaper than the one on AMAZON... and has a good review, concerning signal power and range...

Quote from the page...

. We use this mainly for connecting an iPad to a mixing desk in theatres in order to control it remotely. Distance can be considerable and often obstacles and interference and so far this has not been phased

Unquote...

P.S. I know nothing about these ! ! ! ... just curious as to what it was and found the page... ! 

St3
Aspiring Champion

You could also replace the old wifi extender with a more upto date one ... maybe a faster one.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

If it was me I would be using power line adaptors.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
St3
Aspiring Champion

Yes he could try these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerline-Streaming-Configuration-Required-TL-PA7010KIT/dp/B06WRSHKC6/ref=d...

Then upgrade his router if he feels he wants too.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Somw folk are vehemently against Powerline. What about a  Mesh  system as another option if you have the pennies.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Thread moved to more appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

mgfvvc
Hooked

@Steve wrote:

If it was me I would be using power line adaptors.

I've been using power line adapters for a while. First TP-Link Av200 and now Zyxel AV500. They have a high failure rate. I have had at least 3 die in 4 years and one that is supposed to be a wifi extender, but the wifi is part unusable because the configuration server is no longer accessible, so I can only use the ethernet port.

I am considering a mesh network, but, given the price, I would want some assurance that it would be more reliable than the powerline kit.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

@mgfvvc The ones I have been using are still going strong and they are a fair few years old now made by Netgear. I wonder if the brand might be an important factor here? or your electric wiring is blowing them up?

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Try using wired ethernet.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."