Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which router

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

which router

Hi,
I am looking for a simple wired ASDL router to replace my voyager 210 router as supplied by plusnet. I guess most of you will be on wireless networks but I wish to stick with a wired system.
Can anyone advise me what to go for.... It will only be used for one computer but it must be simple to set up and prior to setting up do I need to uninstall the software for the voyager 210 ?
I Know there are many adverts for wired routers on ebay and the internet but I would rather go recommendations made by people who have used or have knowledge of a product before parting (with my hard earned ) cash.
Thanks for your help
We are born into history and history is born into us.
13 REPLIES 13
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: which router

depends how long you have had the 210 for, you might be able to get the new Thomson one for £6.99 postage, it has 4 wired sockets as againts the one on the 210
zubel
Community Veteran

I'm still very comfortable recommending the Netgear DG834g to anyone.
Even though you don't desire wireless, you can pick these up for <£40 and simply turn the wireless part off.  Setup really is simple, and they're reliable little units.
B.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Netgear-DG834-ADSL-Firewall-Router_W0QQitemZ160295126529QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it...
... and many more like it.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mal0z
Grafter

I would endorse Barrys recommendation - I've had my Netgear DG834g for a few years now - and it's easy to set up, use and no problem.
If you really are near "Gleneagles" - you can buy them for about £40 in Perth - at ahem - PC World !!!
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Hi,
Many thanks for your replies, will go for the DG834G.
Do I need to uninstall the software for the voyager 210 ?
thanks.
James
Grafter

It's probably best to.
Otherwise it's likely that your computer will try to usde the 210 (which won't be there) to connect, by default.
mal0z
Grafter

You don't need any special software on the PC to make it work. Standard Windows XP/Vista provides all that is needed.
The Netgear just plugs into the standard Ethernet port.
I would presume that software for any other router can be savely removed - but maybe best wait for another expert around here.
To set it up - just read - and maybe better prinout this
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/help_and_setup/general_setup_guide.shtml

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: gleneagles
will go for the DG834G.

If you have a choice, and ADSL2+ is in any way "plausible" in your area within your lifetime (or you're possibly considering Be/O2 LLU services in future), go for a V4.
Otherwise it doesn't matter.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

HP Sauce...  With a current download speed of  950 kbps and upload speed of  374 kbps I dont think I will need to bother with a V4..... Hard to believe I live on the edge of a city with such low speeds.
Mal0z.. Thanks for the set up link.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
HP Sauce...  With a current download speed of  950 kbps and upload speed of  374 kbps I dont think I will need to bother with a V4..... Hard to believe I live on the edge of a city with such low speeds.

You may find the Broadcom chipset in the v4 (oh, and the v5 - Netgear do like to keep us on our toes....) will give a more stable connection than the AR7 in previous DG834 models. It certainly works very well here on a 55db attenuation line, and FWIW gives a more consistently stable and higher rate connection than my old AR7 based Zyxel 660.
HPsauce
Pro

Not sure about v5, I read somewhere it was maybe Conexant, certainly not Broadcom like the V4.
That's another (unstated before) reason why I said get a V4 if there's a choice.  Wink
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Not sure about v5, I read somewhere it was maybe Conexant, certainly not Broadcom like the V4.

Looks like there's a bit of uncertainty about this. I got my info from a couple of places including http://www.pmx.it/DG834v4.html.
Quote from: HPsauce
That's another (unstated before) reason why I said get a V4 if there's a choice.  Wink

Looks like good advice Smiley
HPsauce
Pro

Or get a DG834GT; they're all the same (Broadcom)  Cheesy
(and ex-Sky ones are very cheap on eBay and easily reflashed with unlocked firmware)