cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which router/

dabba
Grafter

which router/

Hi I'm just returning to plusnet on a phone line which has no broadband at present (was plusnet approx 3 years ago) we have placed an order did not tick for a router as I have thomson o2 box IV and a friend thinks he has a technicolor TG592n which has plusnet logo but no USB port which would be best to use or would a different one be better (just broadband not fibre) please? 
8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: which router/

Hi,
The thomson o2 box IV is 'locked' to O2 and will not be usable on Plusnet.
a friend thinks he has a technicolor TG592n which has plusnet logo but no USB port
I presume you mean a TG582n , that should work fine although some people have dissapointing results with it's wireless. If your friend is still with PlusNet he needs to get the router dissassociated from his account otherwise the auto setup will use his login details on your connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dabba
Grafter

thanks Misterw, yes he think's it is a TG582n but is unble to find it, could I unlock the o2 box somehow?
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

The stock o2 firmware does have an option for PPPoA connection but as pointed out by MisterW, it is locked down, and any attempt to edit and save the new PPPoA username and  password will fail.

Have a look at this youtube video at how to unlock the o2 TG582n.  o2 wireless box IV clearly shown at start of video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0qqg8FCxI

I had a o2 wb4 (v8.4.4.J) and vaguely recalled last spring I may have tried the above procedure but ran into problems. (I think I may have used a different later version of the setup wizard than the one shown in the video but don't quote me)
Eventually, I just manually FTPed the new template file onto the o2 box. Then logged into the o2 box and fired up the setup wizard and the new setup options became available.   However, I never got around to testing it because I don't have ADSL here, but I do have access to ADSL line at another site.

My advice would be to get hold of a router which will guarantee to work on your line when it goes live rather than messing about trying to unlock your o2 box.  On the other hand, if you are able to unlock the o2 box and test it on a friend's BTw ADSL line, then at least you will be confident it will work on your new Plusnet connection.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
dabba
Grafter

Looked at the Video and does seem a bit complicated for me, anyway friend as now found the Plusnet Technicolor TG582n router but it could be configured to his account is there an easy way to sort this please?
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Log into the TG582n and replace your friend's plusnet username and password stored in the router, with your details.  Simples.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
dabba
Grafter

Thanks zZz,
The router has no instructions not sure how to login to the router. 
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

put http://192.168.1.254/ into your browser and the passwords are admin and the details on the label on the bottom of the router IIRC  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
dabba
Grafter

Update on previous posts, broadband now live I did try and enter the http but could not get a connection so unable to use it, had to ring Plusnet support who were very helpful, needed to use Telenet to get it sorted it took quite a while but got there!
I'm just hoping the speed improves, on O2 now Sky I've been getting 7.1 Mbps and on plusnet I'm only getting  2.7 mbps which won't cope with iplayer HD
the tech team member did say it needs a few days to settle.
Many thanks for the helpful replies.