Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where is my C drive ?

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

where is my C drive ?

Just over a year ago I installed Windows XP on to my computer only to find it was showing in drive N. As this did not cause me any real problems I left it that way until the other week when I decided to install Windows 7 but before doing so I disconnected the hardware that was showing up as drives C to H (these were connections to card readers and additional usb ports already fitted when I got the computer.)
My assumption was that with these disconnected Windows 7 would automatically find the C drive and give me an option to install it there..... no such luck, everything installed ok but the drive is still showing as N.
There appears to be no easy way of changing the drive letter on the active drive without messing about in the registery which I am reluctant to do as everything is up and running OK. I Note windows Old (XP) has been retained so whether or not windows 7 has recognised this and assumed this is where it should also go Is one possible explination.
I would welcome comments from anyone on the above..but nothing to technical please.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: where is my C drive ?

Did you install over the top of your existing windows installation (i.e. upgrade install) or was it a new install and you formatted the drive?
I suspect it would be worth unplugging the USB card reader (it'll be plugged into one of the USB headers on the motherboard) then reinstalling, then plugging it back in once the install is complete. That should make sure you get windows installed on the C drive.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

I Did unplug the card reader but did not format the drive.
It was a new install so I assumed it would give me the chance to format the drive, perhaps I have misunderstood something during the installation procedure or ticked the wrong box, it had been a long day doing other stuff and my concentration was well off top notch.
Perhaps I need to concentrate more when Installing things.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

There is a chance to format the drive but not by default, so the option is easily missed.