cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where does it go :is it worth it?

thisoldman
Grafter

where does it go :is it worth it?

I am contemplating buying an all singing all dancing wireless printer scanner copier, but when i asked these lunatics at pc world, when you scan where does the scanned page go, all the fools could say was into your computer.
Does the scanned  item go to my documents?  is a scanner worth the money? etc etc
tx in advance
22 REPLIES 22
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: where does it go :is it worth it?

Usually you get a choice as to where the default setting is and depending on whether you select scan from the PC it gives you the option of tweaking the settings for each scan (using the button on the front just uses the default settings)
thisoldman
Grafter

tx you sir  but are these all in machines worth it?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That depends on what you want it for,
They are much cheaper than a separate printer and scanner for one rather obvious reason (other than the fact that they share the same box and some of the internals) and that is the scanning resolution is lower than a decent photo quality scanner and the printer usually uses a combined ink cartridge and doesn't produce photo quality prints. The print speed is usually lower as well.
Don't forget - check the cost of ink cartridges as most of them have blocked the use of third party (cheaper) options.
However if you only want to print the odd document and scan for record purposes they will meet your requirements and take up less space
thisoldman
Grafter

thank you Oldjim.    why plusnet dont make you chief exec  sure has me beat. Your advice and empathy isa joy to digest Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Two reasons - I am too old
I wouldn't move to Sheffield  (as my previous employer found out when they tried to move me from Poole to Sheffield)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Oldjim
I am too old

Surely not in this day and age when retirement and pensions are being phased out?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Oldjim
I wouldn't move to Sheffield

You'd have the Pennine Way on your doorstep...a nice Sunday afternoon stroll Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Not applicable

Get one with a printer/scanner/copier then you can use it as a photocopier i.e. scan documents or photographs straight to printer.
This is sometimes quicker and easier than scanning into Documents and then printing off.
It's not the cost of the machine that is the issue - it's the price of the inks when you have used the provided ones (which are always only half full anyway).
If you are going to get one then buy one with separate colour cartridges as they are not so wasteful. Epson inks tend to be best priced. HP are quite pricey.
I have an Epson DX3850 which is still working perfectly about 3 or 4 years and in the life of these machines it's not bad as they don't always last very long before heads or something or other packs in.
thisoldman
Grafter

merci merci madame poppy  that was great advice.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Just another point.... you may consider that having a FAX machine as part of your "all in one" will be useful..... BUT..... when did you last send a fax to anyone? (and you should be able to do that from the computer with the scanner anyway !... If not.... there are plenty of "local shops" that will do it..
S
Decisions, decisions.... PRINTER/Copier/FAX Huh 
You also need to think about the "location" of this wonderfully useful objet d`art !....  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

recently, but not often
nadger
Rising Star

Don't think I've sent a fax since dial-up days.
I do find the copy facility of my Canon MP190 very useful.
Not applicable

No, I wouldn't bother getting one with fax either, particularly as there is the facility in W7 via the normal scanner. 
I rarely use this too but it is occasionally handy as there are companies who will not accept emails but will accept faxes.  This happened to us when we had an insurance claim a good while ago so it's nice to know that it is within the functionality of the computer if necessary.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not used the W7 one, but how does it connect to the phone line?  my lexmark has its own phone connection and  is easy to use