cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when all windows update options fail (from 1703)? Iso disc ?

ekimrob
Grafter
Fixes: 1

when all windows update options fail (from 1703)? Iso disc ?

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice please.

I have a laptop W10 home that just wont update - its stuck on windows 1703.

I have tried a range of googled solutions on stopping services, deleting or renaming windows /download update folders, troubleshooter , checking diskspace  etc.

It downloads etc etc, but now reboots on 0% when implementing the updates, hen goes back to normal login.

Each time it takes me an hour to get to this point as it redownloads ..

I have never re-installed windows as i dont have install CD's, and I want  to keep other software intact.

Is trying to create an iso disk with 1903 possible, then updating that way? (any help on this appreciated)

Or is there a better way?

I have taken the time to google search answers but many threads and other peoples similar issues become convoluted answers, so was hoping i could get any help from here...

Thanks

Mike

15 REPLIES 15
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: when all windows update options fail (from 1703)? Iso disc ?

@ekimrob 

Have you tried rolling back to an earlier version using Windows Restore and starting the update again?

To be honest every now and again I do a fresh install of Windows as this gets rid of a load of dross. 

I start off by taking a full back up so that I can recover the situation if things get screwed up. I then run a program such as Belarc Advisor to extract the licence numbers and activation codes for installed software.

I then download the latest version of Windows and burn it onto a DVD as an .iso as my old motherboard is a bit iffy about booting from USB memory.

It's then a case of reinstalling software as required. It's a long winded pain but does clean things up.

One other thing that makes a massive improvement to a PC is to buy a small, say 256GB SSD, these are quite cheap these days. If you fit this in addition to your current disk you could leave the current one for your data and install Windows and your other programs on the SSD. This makes a massive difference in performance. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@ekimrob Have you tried the "update assistant" - at the top of the page. I used this when Windows 10 kept failing to update.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Does your laptop have Intel HD graphics?
There was a problem with a certain version of Intel HD graphics driver that would not allow W10 to update.
Manualy download the latest drivers for it from the relevant Intel page and update the drivers.
Then try to update W10.

See here

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000030792/graphics-drivers.html
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@ekimrob  Yes, there is a simpler route.... Ditch Windows, and move across to LINUX   using a version called ZORIN..

It is very much like windows...AND YOU CAN RUN WINDOWS Programs on it... very easily.

If you want more details.... and a tutorial... send me your email address or ask for mine, on a PM.... and I will do my best to guide you through the transition..

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I was tempted to suggest a trial run of Linux - which can be run from a USB stick whilst making no changes to your hard disk etc.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

When I had a problem with one of the W10 laptops not updating (It isn't used that often and the update was failing every time). I went the route that @PeeGee suggested. Use the Windows 10 Update assistant. It has worked every time so far. Even correctly identifying what version was installed and that there was a new version available. It then went on to install the latest version - totally bypassing one update that had been missed when the laptop wasn't in use.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
ekimrob
Grafter

Hi

I have tried update assistant - numerous times, on this computer , and as you say I have found it generally to be successful - but not in this instance.

It downloads and goes to restart then get this (see screenshot image) and it reboots back to my desktop (note it doesnt get stuck on the 0%) and stays on current 1709. If you have any other ideas id be appreciative.. unless like others its now a rebuild or linux ?. . Thanks for any help.

IMG_20200511_112529893.jpg

ekimrob
Grafter

Thanks Bogbody

Much appreciated the idea, i checked and it advised me I was on latest version.. 

ekimrob
Grafter

Thanks -  I might indeed go along this option, and if so will seek the further advice.

Much appreciated

Mike

ekimrob
Grafter

Thanks - I will consider this - and explore.

Do you have an intial starter guide, that I can follow.

I will PM my address, but i might not get round to it straight away - so a  starter help would be appreciated..

ekimrob
Grafter

Thanks idonno

I use the assisitant a number of times, and have success in previous times on another laptop.

In this instance it gets to this screen (not stuck) just restarts and goes back to my normal login.

I have about 6gb space.

IMG_20200511_112529893.jpg

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Upgrading from a mounted iso might be worth a try.

ekimrob
Grafter

Thank you.

I will look at that - as I dont have a Cd drive currently available.

Mike

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I have sent you and email with the full instructions....

Good Luck... and ENJOY ! ! ! .Wink