cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is iis7

amcclean
Rising Star

what is iis7

I just looked through a few pages on my router ant noticed some ip addresses in my ARP/RARP table the ip addresses appear to be on my network however when i try to go to them in the browser i get re-directed to a landing page with a blue backgrounded box with welcome in multiple languages on cliking a get directed to a microsoft page http://www.iis.net/

Why does this happen is it important or nothing to worry about?
regards,
podman
4 REPLIES 4
David_W
Rising Star

Re: what is iis7

IIS7 is Internet Information Services 7, it's a web hosting type software from Microsoft, as you don't know what it is, you don't really need it.  Go to the computer that has IIS7 running, go into Control Panel > Add Remove Programmes (or Control Panel, the green Programs link, then Turn Windows Features on/off).
You'll see on the list a tick next to Internet Information Services, remove the tick and it'll uninstall IIS7 for you.
amcclean
Rising Star

Cheers,
had a look at uninstalling IIS but the blurb under the expand signs advised that IIS is required to use FTP which I use a lot and for some webpages.  Can i uninstall IIs and still work as normal.
podman
pozi
Dabbler

Removing IIS on your PC simply means your PC will not act as an FTP server if that option is enabled.
It is totally unrelated to you using FTP to access pages on the internet.
David_W
Rising Star

As pozi pointed out, it's different from FTP.  Lets see, this website (community.plus.net) is hosted on a webserver (Apache most likely) so your computer connects to PlusNet which then connects you to Apache which serves up this website.  IIS7 is like Apache so someone on the outside world could (if your firewall allows it) connect to the web service on your computer.  IIS7/Apache are HTTP(S) servers that serve webpages, FTP (generally) serves files.  If people are connecting to your system to transfer files from you, there are probably better solutions than IIS7.  If however it is you accessing FTP's to download stuff, IIS7 is a not-needed security risk.