Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what do you think this means?

martynhsmith
Grafter

what do you think this means?

Found this article on the BT website
http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=EA17C885-BC46-4AF9-BFF0-D41ECC17F019
What do you think it means?
I live in winslow and would love faster speed 4 to 6mb id annoying but I don't think they have done anything
Here is the sam knows exchange report
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SMWW
Perhaps I should speak to plusnet to get 20mb!
Martyn
4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: what do you think this means?

According to that press release and sam knows exchange report, "21CN WBC" is already available, so you should already have "up to 20Mbps".
The maximum speed you can achieve is mainly determined by the distance between you and the exchange, and for people a long way from their exchange, the ADSL2+ up to 20Mbps provides little to no improvement over ADSL1:

If you can give us your ADSL line stats then we could see if you're already getting the best speed you can expect from an ADSL connection or if there is any potential for improvement.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The BT 21CN WBC status report (current one dated 01/07/2013) which is included in the UserTools Exchange Checker confirms that ADSL2+ is available on the Winslow exchange. Checking historical data shows this has been available since at least March 2013.
Edit: going further back suggests Winslow was enabled for 21CN ADSL2+ towards the end of February 2012.
David
martynhsmith
Grafter

These are my figures -
ADSL Link         Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 9299 kbps   443 kbps
Line Attenuation         41.5 db           22.4 db
Noise Margin 7.0 db   23.8 db
It's actually better today at the weekend it shows around 6500 Kbps
Samknows says my house is 900m from the exchange (but that's as the crow flys)
Martyn
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Those stats show you are already on 21CN ADSL+ and the sync speed is about right for that attenuation. At the weekend when you get lower sync speeds does noise margin reduce causing sync with the exchange to be lost?
You could request upstream be uncapped which should at least double your upstream sync speed.
David