Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weird happenings tonight

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

weird happenings tonight

Not sure if it is "windows software"  or "hardware" problem...
Cheesy
earlier on today i  at brief loss of internet at about 18:06  for two minutes..... then again at 21:06 for 2 minutes..... after the second disconnection  (normally rock solid  snr 9.6 connection at 6.6megs ) ... I found I could not access Firefox from my desktop shortcut icon... nor could I access Bing.... but I could access my email on Thunderbird.... I sent a test email to my alt address and it left here at 21:54 and came back to me 8 minutes later at 22:02 
Have run a "quick scan" with Avast and no  infected files... however... it also reported "Some files could not be scanned"    Cry Cry
I copied these from the list...
C:/$Windows.~BT/Sources/SafeOS.Mount/windows/bootpxe/abortpxe.com
C:/$Windows.~BT/Sources/SafeOS.Mount/windows/WinSxS/amd64_microsoft-windows-bootenvironment_pxe_(xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)_10.0.10240.1634_none(xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)/abortpxe.com
C:/$Windows~BT/Sources/SafeOS.Mount/windows/WinSxS/amd64/winpe-tools.(xxxxxxxxxxxxx)_10.0.10240.1634-none(xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)startnet.cmd

C:/$Windows.~BT/Sources/SafeOS.Mount/Windows/system32/startnet.cmd

Note    (XXXXXXXXXXX) refers to, I think, registry numbers... which I thought maybe should not be published on forum.

all above have same error  The File Cannot Be Accessed

I have shut down Windows.... and now running on Linux Mint...
Did not want to do a Re_boot on the windows , in case that had some gremlins associated with attack, or something to do with the above.
Can anyone tell me, what has happened? or if I should re-boot on the windows into safe mode ? and try a system restore to a previous day.
Note, I have not installed any new progs for a couple of weeks... and had no similar problem before..
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: weird happenings tonight

Well according to what I have read these are simply files that cannot be read because they are either encrypted or corrupt but in that state nothing to worry about, as if they are malicious Avast will catch them when they run. This all appears to be related to a pending upgrade to Windows 10 https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=175837.0 so it would appear to be safe to reboot.

shutter
Community Veteran

O.K. mook... Thanks very much for your reply... and having read your linky, and one in that, I am reassured..
Have rebooted. and can access my browser with firefox and bing now...
strangely... when I tried Thunderbird, I had to re-set it... and all my saved emails and currently read emails have disappeared...  I do have a second laptop, that duplicates reception of emails, so I shall have to copy them across using the import/export  .ldif file system... ( some of the recently saved emails will not be there, ( probably ).. but that will not be too much of a problem ).
Anonymous
Not applicable

What! No IMAP?
shutter
Community Veteran

Don`t know what you mean....  Embarrassed
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to sure if I can smell urine but I'll take the bait all the same. IMAP is a protocol that allows you to store your mail on the server, so when you read an email on Mint then go to Windows it will still be there for you to read again. Normally it is only the mail headers that are read by your mail client with the body of the message being downloaded when the mail is opened for reading. If your mail provider does support IMAP you should maybe consider moving to it. I've been using IMAP on my mail server now for over 10 years and I have every mail ever sent to me or sent  by me since pre 2005.

shutter
Community Veteran

Thank you for the explanation.... I have noticed IMAP on the Thunderbird set up... but the PlusNet instructions never mentioned it  ( apart from saying what the settings were).. i.e. no description of what it is, does, or uses...
Will have to re-configure or re-start Thunderbird to change to IMAP
Many thanks. Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

When one loses/has apparently lost Internet connectivity, the first thing to do is look at your modem/router stats (ADSL we are talking  - which shutter is on).
In particular also check if you apparently have a PPP Internet session - ie does it show the connection with a 'Disconnect' or a 'Connect' button?
Also check the stats for Uptime, and for any LoS (Loss of Signal) - if that count has increased then you've had a drop in sync. If the LoS is showing zero and the Uptime is only a few minutes or so, your modem/router has probably rebooted due to a power dip. Check the Event logs and look for entries like Kernel Cold Restart or even Kernel Warm Restart - that latter means a reboot without a power outage.
Now any of those events can sometimes leave you with no "PPP session" or a "stale PPP session". If the button mentioned above shows 'Connect' then click it and see if that resolves matters, otherwise click 'Disconnect'  wait 30 seconds and then click 'Connect'. If still no luck, click 'Disconnect' and leave it for half an hour before clicking 'Connect'. If that has had no effect, power off the modem/router for 30 minutes if a reboot has no effect - but if you know you are already suffering a dropping connection, then power off - not reboot.
Also keep an eye on Service Status for things such as this  Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

With regards to the email query, on most email clients, where you set up the connection/servers etc (sometimes on an Advanced tab), where you should have a box that you can tick which says "Leave a copy of messages on server".  If you set this on all the various clients that you use, not only will all the messages be there for each client when you POP, but they will also be there if you use webmail.
Using IMAP is another way of doing things, but again the setup is important if you wish to use multiple clients and webmail as well.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Mook
Not to sure if I can smell urine but I'll take the bait all the same. IMAP is a protocol that allows you to store your mail on the server

Well technically thats not quite right though is it.
The mail is already stored there.. IMAP just allows you to synchronize with the server and download all the details for each message and read it without deleting it. Then again POP3 can do the same thing.. the difference is that outlook express usually has the "Do not delete after download" box unchecked and thus deletes them after download.
Key difference with IMAP though shutter is that you can create folders and check those whereas POP3 only checks the inbox folder.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well actually it is as protocol, but described in layman terms for shutter's benefit.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501

shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Mook !.... got lost after the first two paragraphs... and scooted down the rest of it .... ( all 34 miles of it )...  none the wiser...!  but hey.... life`s too short... it either works or doesn`t... when it doesn`t......

Get on the forum... and ask ! ! ..