cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

website hosting recommendations please

geewizz
Grafter

website hosting recommendations please

I have a website for my business and it has been hosted by the same company for the last 6 years. I pay £15 poer month for hosting only. The .co.uk domain was bought first and is hosted with this company. The .com domain name was bought recently and is mirrored to the .co.uk site.
Last week the hosts sent a circular out that mentioned a few changes. Included in those changes was the switching off of catch-all email. They have given me 6 days notice of this ... while I was away for a week. Sad
I give each client a different address to contact me. It's something I started years ago and it's a system that has worked well for me. All of a sudden I will have several hundred clients who will be unable to mail me unless I go back through the archives and locate every address to send on a notice.
I understand why they want to switch off catch-all mail. However they could at least have given me more notice than 6 days
So fuck them, I'm looking for a new host. Smiley
I have a simple html site which gets about 2GB of traffic per month. I'm looking for recommendations for hosts that have reliable servers and tip-top customer support. I'll reshape my working practices to avoid needing catchall but I will still prefer being able to set up hundreds of aliases.
6 REPLIES 6
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Re: website hosting recommendations please

Hi
Please feel free to take a look at Plusnet's offering through http://www.payh.co.uk
Let me know if you have any queries or need any further information.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I use Red Fox Hosting, relatively small but responsive. https://www.redfoxhosting.com/
Their packages suit me but may not suit everyone, you need to check what's included of course and whether it meets your needs.
In general they do not allow catch-all but will enable it if you make a good case and explain how you will take steps to stop it causing problems. I have a few domains there and some have catch-all on email and some don't.
geewizz
Grafter

Kevin,
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately the traffic (currently at about 2GB per month) is more likely to go up than down so the 1.5GB package is unsuitable. The next one up is rather more expensive than I am prepared to pay for. Also, the information on email aliases is rather vague as it doesn't say how many are allowed.
HPsauce,
Red Fox looks a likely contender. The "professional" solution appears to have everything I need at a reasonable price. I'm running a full comparison with another one that someone else sent me by PM.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Eukhost.com are quite good. I use a standard Linux reseller account with them. I get 7Gb of space and total of 40Gb transfer per month. I can host as many domains/sites as I want. I have full cPanel/WHM access for everything and I even created my own nameservers so that people I am hosting for cannot even see Eukhost behind me.
The standard Linux reseller account only costs £99 per year. I have to say that there was issues with the server they use for reseller accounts recently (puma.eukhost.com) but they changed it on Friday to a brand new Dell with 2 quad Xeons and 12Gb of RAM so issues should definitely be solved.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: geewizz
HPsauce,
Red Fox looks a likely contender.

Remember it's a Microsoft-only environment there. Fine if that's what you want, but no **ix.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I noticed that also. If you don't specifically need Windows hosting then no point paying the extra for it. Personally I wouldn't trust Microsoft Windows as far as I could throw it to host my websites.