Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

webmail

binzy
Grafter

webmail

hi guys
              just wondering about why there is never any mail in my webmail but when i collect it using outlook express there is plenty delivered to my pc, just installed windows 7 on laptop and as your probably aware there is no email client so thought i would be able to get it in my webmail but no i cant, so my desktop pc is useing xp  but as stated there is outlook express on there, so to the question how do i get webmail working as its doing nothing at all at the moment even though there is mail delivered every day though outlook express where is the mail being delivered from because as i said cant see anything on webmail at all its redundant
                    cheer binzy
33 REPLIES 33
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: webmail

you dont use OE before trying to look at web mail do you, as once downloaded it aint there for webmail
binzy
Grafter

no i dont i check webmail to see if anything is in there but there never is so then i go to outlook express and bingo half a dozen mail gets downloaded from somewhere
                    cheers binzy
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

If you're using POP3 then when you open Outlook Express your emails will be downloaded to your computer and removed from our servers. Webmail will only show you what's still on our servers i.e. nothing if you've already downloaded it all.
You could use IMAP in Outlook Express instead of POP3 which would solve this problem. Alternatively you could change your POP3 account settings so that it leaves copies of the messages on the server when it downloads them.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

binzy
Grafter

hi bob
            thanks for the reply but still a bit confused here as nothing ever shows up on your server i presume you meen (squirrelmail) i never ever see anymail at all if i dont use outlook express there is not a chance of ever knowing i have mail at all,
              cheers binzy
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

So what you appear to be saying is this...
If you shut down all email clients on your PCs such as Outlook Express or Windows Mail so that nothing is collecting mail.
You then send a test email to yourself from something like Gmail or Hotmail or get someone else to send one.
You then look in your Webmail folders and see no test email (waiting a reasonable time for it to appear).
You then fire up Outlook Express and it downloads the test email.
If this is the case then it is indeed strange and worthy of further investigation.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
binzy
Grafter

hi Strat
                  at last your spot on even if i had no email client at all nothing will show up in my webmail so i dont know if i have mail or not,
                              cheers binzy
SparckZero
Grafter

Could this be a multiple mailbox issue?
Binzy,
Check your Outlook Express settings and see what it's using as your login name. Is this the same login name that you use for your webmail?
binzy
Grafter

hi
        just think of it this way i cant put it any simpler forget about any email clients their all uninstalled from my pc, now you think that i would be able to see emails in my webmail would`nt you , im logged on and in my inbox and nothing there today yesterday last week or month nothing even gets in there,
                              cheers binzy
SparckZero
Grafter

Binzy,
I understand what the problem is Smiley I'm concerned that the login name you're using for the Webmail may not be the same as the one you are using in Outlook, and so that is why you can't see the mails in Webmail.
I'd recommend checking your Outlook account settings to see what login name is being used, and then make sure you're using the same one for webmail Smiley
binzy
Grafter

hi
     outlook is collecting mail ok no problem with outlook at all its webmail thats the problem so take any email clients out of your thoughts dont get stuck on that part
                    cheers binzy
SparckZero
Grafter

Binzy,
I think you misunderstand me. I know that you're not having a problem with Outlook at all - that's why I want you to check the login settings on it so you can use those correct settings to access your webmail.
Put it this way: Outlook is working, Webmail isn't. It is possible that you're not using the correct login details on the Webmail, but Outlook will have the correct login details stored (because it can successfully retrieve your e-mail).
binzy
Grafter

hi
        i log on to webmail directly from the net to check emails and of course its always empty  then if i use outlook express and it collects emails from somewhere (but where) so to answer your question outlook and webmail password as is plusnet are all the same
                    cheers binzy
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

SparckZero was just trying to see if Outlook Express and Webmail were looking in the same box.
It's the username that's the important bit.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
binzy
Grafter

hi
        yes i understand  that, and thanks to all who replied here, i cant work this one out because as i said logon details are the same and i can access webmail site myself ok,  so if emails are not showing up in there where is outlook express collecting them from
                    cheers binzy