cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

w7 activation

Teds31
Grafter

w7 activation

hi everyone , I have a problem ,my fiend who has a laptop bought last year from a genuine retailer has completely lost his windows connection and only has a box asking him to activate windows,when he enters the product code under the computer it will not recogise it. I am trying to find a phone number for Microsoft but the web site just gives me the run around. can any one supply a number or offer other advice . Ted
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: w7 activation

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

As Oldjim says, there is always a telephone activation option and you will be given a number once you state your locale.  Those product key labels can be difficult to read - for example, I find a "B" and an "8" are easily confused.  Also, the product key code only works for the correct version of Windows so if your fiend bought a computer running Windows 7 Home edition but then somebody installed a pirate upgrade to, say, Windows 7 Ultimate edition then the situation described of the product key being rejected might arise.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Teds31
laptop bought last year from a genuine retailer

The "genuine retailer" should be the first "port of call".
If they can't or won't help I'd involve trading standards if there's any suggestion of pirate software.
Teds31
Grafter

Thanks for the replies, I will be honest and say I haven't yet seen the actual computer ,I am going tomorrow ,so I will first try the product code in the hope he as got it wrong, then as you say the best course is the retailer which by the way was Argos. I was just frustrated that I went all through Microsoft site and couldn't find a number. Anyway thanks again for the help and I will post the outcome for anyone who is interested. Ted.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

According to this link http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/activation-centers.aspx the number to call is 0800 018 8354 .  I know this says "volume license keys only" but I found a number of other references on the web suggesting that this is the correct number.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

When you try to activate It online and If It fails, See this to what will happen and what phone number you will need to call, BTW I have used It before and the staff are great and polite and very helpful, They had me activated In seconds. Providing you are not using an illegal copy. And yes reedrichards that Is the number and Its toll free.
Edit you are going to need the product code though.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18715-activate-windows-7-phone.html
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Mav
Fixes: 514

I had an OEM disc for XP. When a MB and graphics card failed due to a faulty power supply the online activation failed with the new hardware. During a quick call to the number supplied I was able to confirm my reasons for reactivation on different hardware to a very pleasant member of staff and got the activation code.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

See this tutorial also and Yes Its allowed and above board.
Windows 7 - Activation Trial Period - Extend Up to 120 Days
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/875-activation-trial-period-extend-up-120-days.html
Teds31
Grafter

Thanks for the telephone number I will make a note of it for the future, as it wasn't needed this time. When I went to the friends home I realised he had got it wrong though I must say it was confusing, the message displayed was about microsoft office , he had a copy which ran out after a number of uses ,the trouble was when he started windows 7 the reminder came full screen and if your entered the product code it said it was the wrong number, and it would not let you get rid of the screen, a bit stupid I think. I had not come across this before but when you omitted the product number and a box appeared letting you continue, so I showed him how to get rid of it and downloaded Open Office, all is now well ,till next time. ::). thanks again for the help. Ted.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Teds
hi everyone , I have a problem ,my fiend...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Jeremy, does this mean it's open season on any errors and typos you make?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

He must of been really bored ReedRichards.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Oh, Steve, now you're tempting me with of instead of 've.  Please don't get me started!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: ReedRichards
Jeremy, does this mean it's open season on any errors and typos you make?

I don't make errors - well not amusing ones!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."