If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: voyager 105 adsl on ubuntu

or here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=140010
But you'd be better advised to get an ADSL modem/router. Then you won't have problems connecting to different systems and OS's. You can just use a standard wired or wireless network connection, and you'll have a reasonable firewall between you and the internet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Can I suggest that you follow a certain policy with regard to all installs
Before downloading any software, look and see if it is in the "software sources" or repositories - otherwise software that you install
may depend on the presence of certain libraries on Ubuntu.
When software is upgraded or removed, these libraries may be recognised as unused and therefore replaced or removed.
Ubuntu knows nothing about the contents of your manual installs.
Furthermore, it would be wise to ensure that executable objects are placed in /usr/local/ or /usr/local/bin
You won't be informed of any upgrades to manually installed objects... Cheesy
I would strongly suggest that you make sure that you install the alien package (using the package manager).
alien allows you to install packages designed for other distributions - such as .rpm packages.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

morgan2476
Grafter

Thanks for all the replies.  The whole thing is a bit complicated for me and a bit time consuming.  Is there a modem I can get that will work with both windows and linux?  Also, i cannot play mp3's, there is one file that is needed.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Is there a modem I can get that will work with both windows and linux?

Yes, as I said above, get an ADSL modem/router, assuming your PC has a network ( Ethernet ) connection, all recent ones will. The router connects to your phone line instead of your modem and then your PC connects to the router using a standard network cable ( usually supplied with the router ). All operating systems have standard drivers for a network connection and so will work with this setup. For advice on selecting a router ( there are so many out there ) have a look at this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75372.0.html.
Depending on how long you have been with PlusNet and whether you are willing to agree to a 12month contract you can usually get the Plusnet supplied router ( Thomson TG585 ) for the cost of postage and packing ( £5.99 ).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.