cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vmWare Fusion on iMac

Anonymous
Not applicable

vmWare Fusion on iMac

Anyone here had any experience with this software and does it really work as well as the blurb and the promo videos imply?
8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: vmWare Fusion on iMac

i found parallels better.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I switched from Parallels to VMware Fusion about 6 years ago and have never had a problem with it. My needs are fairly limited and I am using a 6 year old Mac Pro with Yosemite so I am probably not the best person to ask about its performance.
Whether you use Parallels or VMware Fusion my impression is that you need a recent Mac with plenty of RAM if you want to achieve the best out of it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I did suspect that. I'm looking to get an i7 4GHz, 5K Retina with 32GB RAM direct from the Apple store. But I thought I'd ask first as I need to continue to have Windows support.
dvorak

i've got parallels running on an mid-2010 i3 imac 12GB ram and an late-2014 i7 mbp with 16gb ram and both run fine.
don't buy it configured with the 32gb ram, it'll be much cheaper to buy the extra ram from crucial and put it in yourself.
Customer / Moderator
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about warranty? Are these (iMacs) as easy as PCs to upgrade. The price I got on the site was 2.7K for the aforementioned config. Apple make a big thing about the 5mm edge of their screen so trying to find an image that shows the back (and I assume the IO ports) is very hard to come by, I can't even see any on the Apple store.
dvorak

the only thing you can change is the ram and it's easy https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+RAM+Replacement/30533
Customer / Moderator
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right, and I don't have to wait on a 'Custom build' either.  Grin
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, Installing my own memory saves me £320 on the purchase price, but so I don't bungle the order. I assume I need to order a 16GB so I can add 2 x 8GB chips via the flap on the rear. But this now makes it a Custom build; Oh well! Am I right?