cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vista display prob

scootie
Grafter

vista display prob

when i first log in to an account on vista prem the screen flashes a couple of times. but all is o.k once the computer has seteled down takes bout a minute before all applictions will respond propley.
be great help if any one has any suggestions on this matter.
18 REPLIES 18
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: vista display prob

Ditch it and go back to XP.
Thats my suggestion..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jagger
Grafter

Agree with PJ.
It sounds like it's an underpowered machine trying to run Vista Premier.That takes some serious memory,like 2 Gb or preferably 4.
And a decent graphics card.
If this is an upgrade then the computer is  just struggling.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Assuming this is happening from boot, it's probably just what you have as startup programmes slowing the boot procedure a bit. You could try pruning the startup folder of unnecessary software.
Mines, Vista Home Premium running with 3.00Ghz and 2Gb RAM and does exactly the same thing: a couple of seconds of black screen followed by a few seconds of plain white screen before the desktop actually opens, this can be followed by a brief removal and replacement of all the desk top icons.
If you've got a complex Anti-virus (like Norton IS or McAfee) this can slow things down considerably and cause this as it integrates with your installed software
I shouldn't worry about it if I were you, go away and make a cup of tea while it's booting up, it'll be fine when you come back.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: petlew
does exactly the same thing: a couple of seconds of black screen followed by a few seconds of plain white screen before the desktop actually opens, this can be followed by a brief removal and replacement of all the desk top icons.

I actually get a very similar experience with XP on every single one of my machines (and thats 4 in total) with 3 vmware machines too). My machines show the blue starting windows screen, flash black, then bring up the login screen. Login, screen flashes bnreifly, desktop comes online, icons flash a few times and then i get a stable system. All my systems are powerful enough to handle XP (The lowest being 866MHz with 512MB ram - I would expect it on this one). The highest specced machine i got being a 1.8GHz with 704MB ram (ok no laughing.... seriously stop please??)
Still runs like a dream once its stable. XP is definately better than any of M$'s other systems (with the exception of fault tolerant NT server series)
Not applicable

Yep, I have similar with XP, possibly whilst it auto-detects what monitor I'm using and auto-adjusts. (Widescreen Notebook, 16:9 monitor attached generally)
scootie
Grafter

hi im runing a laptop with vista home prem came preinstalled not a upgrade. only 1 year old now. 1g of ram and 1.73 ghz of processer. it happens wen i log in to an account and even if i switch user account an the 1st still runing it still flashes on off twice wen i log in to the 2nd account but does it staraight away instead off taking about 30 secs before it happens.
probly is somthing to do with startup programs coz it started happing bout 3 or 4 months after i got the laptop. all is o.k once comp has got going not much of a prob but it would b nice to hav it soloved.
cheers 4 all the replies.
petlew
Pro

Not really surprised you get this when switching accounts, as you are basically rebooting into a new account, so any flashes and bangs that go with startup, will occur with account changes as well.
Probably isn't much you can do except, strip your accounts down to their bare minimum of startup programmes and run everything from start/programs/... any time saving you may save at boot will probably be lost though, but you should beware of not having AV etc. active at boot, which are probably those that take up most time and cause most of the flashes anyway.
If you're really upset about it, switch the monitor off while it's booting up and keep an eye on the HD activity lights, when they/it are/is finished turn the monitor back on.
But seriously, I think you're worrying unnecessarily.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
scootie
Grafter

hi petlew. im not worrying about it. jus finding out if any one had a fix for the prob. any way if u had a car that stoped an started before it got going for a time u would wnat to find what was causing it.
tried stoping all startup progarms yestarday an still did it.
so started in safe mode an didint happen so i think windows update installed a new driver some time bac.
petlew
Pro

Ok Scootie, However, I think you're analogy of cars and computers is not a good one. Yes sure if my car did what "our" PC's do (in a car way) then I think I'd get a bit investigative as well. But car's don't normally load all of it's functions one after another as computers do, all or any of which can cause a slow down or screen changes.
I agree though that if this occurred in safe mode I'd get a bit worried, but you're only loading a bare minimum of software then, just enough to prove functionality and allow you to trace obscure faults (such as flashing at boot perhaps!! sorry, poor attempt at humour)
I think the only occasion that my PC (Vista home premium) didn't display this was the first time I switched it on from new, it's done it ever since, and I've installed every possible update since around Augustish. Have you looked in the Microsoft Vista knowledge base? can be a bit of a thankless task, but might help.

hulls
Grafter

Sounds similar to my XP machine as well.  Everything starts to load, and just before it's fully stable, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds then the icons rebuild, and then it's fine.  It's done it for ages, and I assumed it was something to do with the video drivers autodetecting.  As you say it's not much of a problem, once you accept it.
I think it's Bill Gates trying to pretend that the bootup is actually faster than it is.  The system looks as if it's fully booted, but it's still starting up drivers like mad.  Smiley
As for the car analogy.  Can you imagine what would happen if every now and again the car just stopped, and wouldn't do anything until you'd turned the ignition off and back on again?  Grin
John
petlew
Pro

Hummmp!! Bill Gates has been telling us how much better each next version of Windows is going to be since Win 3.1, I suppose mostly he's right, but take what he says, divide by two, square the sum of that, subtract 95% and you'll probably be left with a much better idea of the reality. Problem is, he produces operating systems but, forgets they're useless on their own without his and other manufactures software to work on them. Then his predictions don't look quite so rosy, and the problems start.
And I, as I've said in other posts quite like Vista!!

7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: PJ
Quote from: hulls
As for the car analogy.  Can you imagine what would happen if every now and again the car just stopped, and wouldn't do anything until you'd turned the igniotion off and back on again?

I thought all cars do this- especially on roundabouts  Grin

Heh, since when did i start lending you the keys to our car?  Huh I seriously gotta get that looked at.. it's reputation is spreading!
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: scootie
if i switch user account an the 1st still runing it still flashes on off twice wen i log in to the 2nd account but does it staraight away instead off taking about 30 secs before it happens.

I wish you had said this earlier. Different users can set their own screen resolutions. Therefore as each user logs in the operating system attempts to resize the screen automatically - It does this even if it is already the same resolution (and yes it's rather annoying sometimes - what you need to remember is that windows is still rumbling away - it doesn't pause while it does this).
I think the part of windows which does this (remember this is only a 'feature') is disabled in safe mode as it is a non-essential part of windows which in an emergency (hence safemode) you wouldn't need it. It doesn't do it to me in safe mode either.
Basically mate, don't worry about it. It is normal (and slightly annoying) but it is just the way Microsoft designed the system to work.
Apologies for typo's - I'm knackered.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: okrzynska
Basically mate, don't worry about it. It is normal (and slightly annoying) but it is just the way Microsoft designed the system to work.

It's a bug, not a feature.
Doesn't happen in safe mode, because it sets the display to a preset basic resolution.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."