cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virgin plusnetter needs help please!!!

daley6522

virgin plusnetter needs help please!!!

Hi All,
New to plusnet and have just migrated from zen(horrendous service and connectivity), anyway now with plusnet on there residential plusnet premium and would like to maintain the same set up i have at present, only replacing the linksys router i have with the thomson one that came with the service.
Set up as follows:
router connected to server(microsoft windows server 2003) I use this to collect mail and send out to various addresses in my office(Home office), server then connected to various comps, printers etc
I have a couple of problems.
1. when i use my linksys router I get everything, apart from a delay or repeatedly having to refresh the browser to get connectivity ??????
2. tried to connect the thomson router in but really a bit of a novice and just tried to copy settings from linksys router but just doesnt want to play ball.
Can someone please help before the kids get locked in the wardrobe again 😉
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: virgin plusnetter needs help please!!!

If you were with the standard Zen (not LLU) you may have brought your problems with you.
Unless you asked for it you may have a dynamic IP address which might upset what you are trying to do - I don't know but a word of caution you may need ask for a fixed IP address.
With the Linksys - did you have the DNS servers hard coded and were they the Zen ones
David_W
Rising Star

Have you set up the server to collect mail from Plusnet or is it still coded to collect mail from Zen?  If you go to https://portal.plus.net and log in, go to Email Settings - Manage my email, then click the link for Mail Delivery Options, there you can elect to have home server pick up your email from Plusnet as currently it is most likely set up to use POP3/Imap.  As Jim pointed out, for that you need a static IP address rather than a dynamic IP address.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Simple question first:
Is the Thomson router set with the correct PlusNet username for the ADSL / WAN connection, it should be <your user name>@plusdsl.net?
Sorry to ask this but just in case you copied your old connection details from the old router it's worth asking.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
daley6522

Quote from: Oldjim
If you were with the standard Zen (not LLU) you may have brought your problems with you.
Unless you asked for it you may have a dynamic IP address which might upset what you are trying to do - I don't know but a word of caution you may need ask for a fixed IP address.
With the Linksys - did you have the DNS servers hard coded and were they the Zen ones

Hi oldjim, thanks for your responce, I have a static ip with plusnet and the other stuff you ask me is a bit of giberish to a novice like myself, when I had the network set up at home it was via a it mate of mine, however he's now in good old oz so he can't help
daley6522

Quote from: walker23
Simple question first:
Is the Thomson router set with the correct PlusNet username for the ADSL / WAN connection, it should be <your user name>@plusdsl.net?
Sorry to ask this but just in case you copied your old connection details from the old router it's worth asking.

hi walker,
yes I've changed them details, but thanks anyway
daley6522

Quote from: dgwebb
Have you set up the server to collect mail from Plusnet or is it still coded to collect mail from Zen?  If you go to https://portal.plus.net and log in, go to Email Settings - Manage my email, then click the link for Mail Delivery Options, there you can elect to have home server pick up your email from Plusnet as currently it is most likely set up to use POP3/Imap.  As Jim pointed out, for that you need a static IP address rather than a dynamic IP address.

Hi dg,
Its not set up to collect plusnet mail or for zen mail, its for mail supplied via an independant server and the exchange on my server spreads it out to the various mail points
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

having read your post daley6522, not sure what your issue is... is the server not collecting your mail anymore?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'