Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vhs to pc

slanjavah
Grafter

vhs to pc

Hi can anyone advise me?
I have a number of VHS tapes and was thinking of using my pc to copy them to DVD. I am able to do this & if so what hardware software will I need.
op system is                    XP PRO service pack3
processor                        intel core 2 quad
graphics                          nvidia geforce 8600 gt
sound card                      sound blaster X-FI Xtreme audio

Thanks in advance
May the force be with you
16 REPLIES 16
Not applicable

Re: vhs to pc

I haven't a clue how to do this but the subject was covered briefly in Issue 272 of Computeractive magazine. I have a copy so if no replies come your way (and this is very unlikely) you are welcome to have it - just PM your address and I will post it on.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

only thing you need now is an input for the video signal, lots around. I did use Haupage, and the last laptop came with a TV grabber.  then you want a program to "Correct" the video
see the current Personal Computer World Mag, has an article on it  (October 2008 issue Vol 31 No 10) cost £3.99  8 page article
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I have done this a few times.  You will need a video capture card in the PC to start with , and some video editing software.  I use Cyberlink Powerdirector 6, but Windows Movie maker would work just as well. I have the video SCART connected to the Composite Video in, and Sound(L) and (R) of my sound card, but sometimes, you need to use the LINE in on your PC.  Once you have captured to the PC, you can edit it, and then save it.  TO get it to DVD, as you do not have vista, that has a built in DVD recording package, you need again some software. Powerdirector has it built in, as do most video editing packages.  Computer Shopper reviews Video editing software, and one did a feature on converting VHS to DVD. Go to www.computershopper.co.uk, and type VHS to DVD in the search box, and select computer shopper. Scroll down the results to the features, and there is a guide there on how to do it.  Hope this helps
kryten1st
Grafter

I do this really easy with my old Bush combi dvd/vhs recorder, it will dub or copy from vhs to dvd or vice versa but not copy protected of course.  I then finalise the disk put it in my computer and use dvd shrink to select the bits I want, then write it back to a blank disk, job done.  You can pick up combi dvd/vhs quite cheap now.  Grin
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

This has come up several times in these forums. The easiest solution is as Kryten 1st said use a VHS/DVD combi, I've been doing this for years with no problems, and they can be very cheap, probably much cheaper than setting up a PC to do it. However, I can't remember what its called, but Maplin have a solution to this (it was suggested by a forum contributor some time back)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Do you mean this.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
petlew
Pro

Er! no actually Strat, but it was one of the Dazzle products shown in the page you provided I think. Sure somebody recommended one of these a while back.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Strat
Community Veteran

Never one to be put off...how about this  Wink
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
petlew
Pro

Thats a prodigious memory you have there strat!! weatherman as far as I know never actually reported back on the success or otherwise of it. I have seen them in my "local" Maplin, but not been tempted as I have the VHS/DVD combi option, otherwise I might have been, certainly takes up a lot less room than a combi.

Strat
Community Veteran

Confession:
Since they fixed the forum search I don't need my prodigious memory quite so much :).....good night all Cool
samuria
Grafter

When i have done it I just used a cheap TV card plug the aerial lead from the video into the tv card find the channel  and most tv cards let you capture whats playing to a AVI file job done very cheap. Then write to dvd with nero or other dvd software. You can get a tv card for a few pounds and you often get them on car boots for under £5 which is fine as its likely to be a one off job
Not applicable

There is the option to use a VHS with a USB output, but the one at Maplins weighs in at a fairly hefty £149.99. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224587&TabID=1&C=SO&U=strat15&doy=search
Probably not the ideal solution given that its likely to be a one-off job, but if you have a lot to do, it might be an easy option.
Also worth noting though, it'll only copy stuff that you've recorded yourself, if its pre-recorded stuff, you'd need to look at one of the options already mentioned above.
petlew
Pro

Yes, I think the Dazzle jobs shown on the Maplins page supplied by pierre, are around the £30 - £50 mark depending on what facilities you need. which make them a bit more affordable, but I'd check'm out first to make sure they will do what you want, as I said the early topic post referred to by strat; the poster (weatherman) didn't actually report back if the Dazzle worked or not, he was quite enthusiastic about the prospects though.

Not applicable

I spotted a couple of products that claimed to do the trick for a little less that, around the £20-30 mark, but I didn't include a reference to them, as I'm not certain they'd work (or if they'd work well enough.)
The Dazzle solution is one that I've heard of being used before with good results though, so perhaps for sanity it might be the best option.