cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

useage time demarcation

pengbo
Grafter

useage time demarcation

How accurate is the switchover to overnight usage?  I have unlimited so it doesn't matter much but I try to be responsible and so schedule some of the larger downloads for after Midnight. Just went and checked on my usage and it shows half of it in the daytime usage (unknown where the other half went).  However I set it to start spot on Midnight and just wondering if anyone knows if whatever measures this is accurate or needs some lee way?
6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: useage time demarcation

If we can't tell accurately whether the usage we accrued before or after midnight, we actually discard the usage file and ignore it, so there shouldn't be any instances of usage ending up in the wrong period.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
zubel
Community Veteran

Plusnet receive "delta reports" at periodic intervals, and any interval that includes the midnight or 8am 'switchover' is discarded.
For example, if you assume that a delta report is received every 15 minutes, you may have a situation where the reports show the following:
23:35 : 100MB
23:50 : 100MB
00:05 : 300MB
00:20 : 150MB
The delta report received at 00:05 covers the period 23:50 - 00:05.  As Plusnet cannot identify whether the data was transferred before midnight or after, they simply discard the report.  Thus, in the above scenario they would record 200MB of usage before midnight and 150MB of usage after midnight.  The 300MB 'tick' is ignored.
B.
pengbo
Grafter

Ahh. Learning a lot here. Thanks Chris and Barry.
Hmmm so if you could work out your delta and were on a metered and not unlimited connection then you could download a fair bit in those 15 minutes... at 62Mbps... tap tap on calc I could manage 6.3GB approx every night and have that discarded Shocked drat you don't have an evil smiley Smiley
Thanks again for the info. Will adjust the scheduler to allow for 15 mins.  I never download enough to worry about it was just curious why it didn't show up as I have never had something that could tell me what I am using before so all this is quite novel.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If yo're on Unlimited then you don't need to schedule your downloads Smiley
pengbo
Grafter

I know Ben.
Never had tools for monitoring stuff like this before and was too idle to set my own up due to having to many network devices. But now I do I thought it might be good to get an idea of what I normally use day to day without the downloads in case I ever wanted to stop unlimited (no I doubt I ever will either but who knows).
Plus I really don't need the downloads immediately so why not be nice and use the times when your network is not under stress? That way there is more to go around when we all want to just surf etc...
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We have significant spare capacity to expand the network into when necessary... My little bit of downloading on a DSL line is a drop in the ocean Smiley