Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upload speed

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

upload speed

Hi,
Several days ago I uploaded a total of 39 photographs to a well known company for printing, some of these were in the 10-12Mb range.
The problem is that it took nearly 2 hours to upload these photographs ! Yes that's correct 2 Hours and yes I am on broadband.  The broadband speed checker shows my download speed at approx  1150 with an upload speed of approx  380.
Can anyone advise me further on this
Thank you
We are born into history and history is born into us.
17 REPLIES 17
geewizz
Grafter

Re: upload speed

Compress the photos before you upload them. I seldom upload photos which haven't been compressed to file sizes of less than 200kB. Where greater detail is required the file size rarely goes over 2MB. That would be for a photograph which is intended for using on a projector.
For photos that are to be viewed on a website, even at full screen size, the maximum file size I would end up with would be 300kB.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

but Gwizz he uploaded them for printing
geewizz
Grafter

Even if they were for printing for billboards, 10MB would be an oversize file.
samuria
Grafter

Put them in a zip file that would make it half the size
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
...The problem is that it took nearly 2 hours to upload these photographs !

I know this is a bit of a pain but does it really matter?  You can still do other things whilst uploading is taking place, or start the upload when you will be away from your PC for a bit, say over dinner or when watching TV.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for the comments,  I am not sure if they would accept a zip file as a message first came up saying "loading Java downloader" ? This went on to show the individual pictures for download.
Regarding the reduction in file size, if you reduced it from 10Mb to 2Mb would the pictures still be as sharp, let me put it another way, say I took some pictures with a 2Mb pixel camera these could be downloaded at that size i.e. 2MB  but if I take the same pictures with a 10Mb pixel camera and download these at 2MB are we saying that both pictures would be exactly the same or is there something I am missing here ?
Can I also add a further question, if my maximum usage is 2GB per month,  by uploading say 40 pictures at 10Mb would this mean I would have used 400Mb or nearly a quarter of my monthly usage or am I wrong on that.
You will note from these questions I know little about photography or computers so apologies if the questions seem simplistic.
Thanks
James
Grafter

Can I also add a further question, if my maximum usage is 2GB per month,  by uploading say 40 pictures at 10Mb would this mean I would have used 400Mb or nearly a quarter of my monthly usage or am I wrong on that.

You're absolutely correct.
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles

Regarding the reduction in file size, if you reduced it from 10Mb to 2Mb would the pictures still be as sharp, let me put it another way, say I took some pictures with a 2Mb pixel camera these could be downloaded at that size i.e. 2MB  but if I take the same pictures with a 10Mb pixel camera and download these at 2MB are we saying that both pictures would be exactly the same or is there something I am missing here ?

It's not a 2MB pixel camera, its a 2 Megapixel camera. That is to say it takes pictures at a resolution of 2million pixels in a frame. (Or that's roughly what it is meant to mean but it's a bit more technical than that.)
When you take the files off the camera they may or may not be compressed by the camera or the software you use. Either way, the 10MB figures you quote means that you are getting very big pictures from your camera. That's a good thing because you can not reverse compression, so you've got all the resolution and detail that you could possibly need and you have all your options open still.
If you use a compression like the jpeg ones then you can reduce the size of the files considerably. The compression algorithms reduce the amount of data by all sorts of clever techniques like spotting patterns and listing them as repeats and by making lists of pixels that are grouped together and all have the same hue,brightness etc.
The biggest saving on file size you can make will be by reducing the physical size of the image, ie. the display dimensions.
Then you can apply compression to adjust the resolution. The more compression you use, the more resolution you lose. That means that when you enlarge the image you will begin to notice the compression.
You have to play around with the compression and apply as much as you think you can get away with without compromising the inmage at the size and resolution it will be viewed on.
Your 10MB pictures will be great if you want your viewer to be able to zoom in to check dandruff on a bride's head in the family group shot. Chances are that you are uploading these pics for standard sized prints and they will probably be reducing your file sizes to less than 1MB before they are printed anyway.

Yes, plus a little bit more because there will be extra data transferred that gives packet information.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what we havnt asked yet is what size print do you want?, you will find if it is only the standard postcard size that a 1MB file is ok,  and there are other reasons that the shops dont tell you for not using much over 5 MB - like surprise the picture quality is not that good.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for the information, I'm a bit wiser now.
The prints would be 7 X 5.
If I had reduced them to 2Mb rather than sending them at 10Mb I would have uploaded them in one fifth of the time and saved myself 320mb of usage !!
Thanks again for your help.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You should be able to determine the size of the image by tweaking the settings on your camera.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pierre_pierre
Grafter

It does depend on what you want to do when you download from your camera, If you want to look at parts of you picture as GeeWizz said, that is easier with higher pixel.  but if you only want small print, lower pixel, as Adiewoo said, and with your camera set at a smaller pixel count you can get a lot more shots in the camera memory.
I have had a perfectly respectable A4 print from 2MB
for instance this picture is only 2.38 mb http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2011/2476583570_f4d975647e_b.jpg
while this reduced pixel is less than 70K http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/2865119141_bacf46a949_o.jpg
Santiago
Grafter

Can't you copy your pictures onto a cd or memory stick and take them to the shop to be printed. That way you won't use up a lot of your usage allowance
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

There are mail order ones like photobox that don't have a physical presence and you need to upload then.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'