Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

updates...

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

updates...

Not strictly a "software" problem..... more an irritation.... so posting in chit chat....

Every time I boot up the laptop, I get a little message in the bottom right corner, saying "xxx program is out of date and needs to be updated... with dire warnings about what might happen if it is not kept up to date..."
These programs do not have access to the internet, so why is it necessary for my computer to tell me to update them?
and if anyone can tell me how to stop these warnings, it might keep me sane ! !   Cheesy  (edit... and I don`t want some bright spark saying.... "just update them....  ::))
I`m quite happy with the current version... (some of them I have updated and don`t like the "new improved" version so re-installed the old one again)...
14 REPLIES 14
TORPC
Grafter

Re: updates...

Have a look in
Start > Type "Msconfig" without the quotes then
Startup tab > look for them programs to untick > Apply (may require a reboot for changes to take affect)
If you are unsure which Items are safe to untick post the list here and we can advise further Smiley
May possibly help to speed up your boot time(s)
Edit:
Reversed a [
shutter
Community Veteran

OK.. thanks... going out now... will do it when I come back...  Wink
Mav
Fixes: 515

But he will still get the messages when the offending programs are run.
Is there not an option within the programs to stop then wanting to 'phone home' for updates?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

As the OP Clearly states
Quote from: shutter

Every time I boot up the laptop, I get a little message in the bottom right corner, saying "xxx program is out of date and needs to be updated... with dire warnings about what might happen if it is not kept up to date..."
These programs do not have access to the internet, so why is it necessary for my computer to tell me to update them?

Therefore the starting point is to turn of the programs at startup as these are clearly trying to phone home for updates from startup
Secondly would be to see what settings can be amended to each program
Without knowing the actual programs in question it is hard to advise where the relevant settings are
We could assume that they could be the main contenders like Google, FlashPlayer, Java etc however that could be a wrong assumption
shutter
Community Veteran

@TORPC.... Have forgotten which progs they are... but having a quick look on your Msconfig > Start up tab.... doesn`t ring a bell....  so I will have a piece of paper and pencil standing by for the offenders to show up !...
Thanks., for assistance.  Wink
TORPC
Grafter

YW Smiley
Keep us posted
Scribe
Grafter

Avast does that - unless you turn off the Software Updater. Wink
TORPC
Grafter

Yet again an assumption on OP's AV which could be a wrong or right assumption
When the OP gets back to us, then we will have  more understanding which program(s) are the call home on startup culprits
shutter
Community Veteran

Hi Guys....
I removed third party anti virus a couple of days ago... it was AVIRA ,  am not at home on my home laptop at the moment.... and do not have this problem on this one... so will do a check when I get home later this afternoon, and give and "update"  Roll_eyes on this situation....
shutter
Community Veteran

Update... on the Updates !....
Just logged into my home laptop..... and up pops a small box , bottom right corner..... has a grey headline border with "Software not up-to-date"...
also has a yellow warning triangle with an exclamation mark in the message box area... "Your old VLC media player........etc...etc.."  (same message for other similar applications)...
Yellow Shield with exclamation mark.... "It is important to keep your software updated....... etc..... etc... "
then ends with .................                                                                                              click to update
TORPC
Grafter

Have a look in Msconfig and see if you can turn it off from startup,
Then have a look in the settings fro VLC media player and the other programs mentioned to see if there is an option to turn off scheduled request(s) to call home for updates
Sounds like you have got a program like what Scribe mentioned that looks for updates to your software(without knowing what AV you have) and some does have some version or other of software updaters that can be turned off
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

See attached
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
TORPC
Grafter

Thank jelv I haven't VLC installed on this laptop to have advised Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

@TORPC..... Thanks.... but nothing in Msconfig relates to vlc......
@Jelv.... no wonder you are a "bright spark"..... couldn`t see the bit you showed, until I scrolled down on the interface box.... now "unchecked".. so hopefully that will cure that one...
As for other progs that may crop up from time to time... I will certainly be on the look out for the "update" notification in their settings...
Thanks for the help guys...  Wink