cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

update kb951847

firefly2
Grafter

update kb951847

hello, i have service pack  2 and downloaded the update some time ago.
it took ages to download when i closed down and it seems to have slowed down the pc when starting up.
has anyone had any trouble likewise and do i need this update ?Huh
it does say i may uninstall.
do not currently fancy service pack 3 as some seem to have a load of trouble with it.
thankyou  Undecided
6 REPLIES 6
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: update kb951847

Service Pack 3 is OK  IMHO.  I wisely held off for a while after its initial announcement but have had it installed on more than 50 PC's across three sites for months now with no problems.  I'd suggest you 'bite the bullet' and upgrade.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

We've got SP3 running across 4 PC's at home with no trouble, so I'd say it was pretty safe to upgrade.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
firefly2
Grafter

thankyou MauriceC.
was in trouble for a minute. the  " c " stuck down.
well am dithering about  3 pack .
1 son won't download either. will have big think. may take the plunge.
however , shall i get rid of this update do you think???
the printoff says " .net framework 3.5 service pack 1 family update for net versions 2.0 through 3.5.
does the net version relate to s/p 2. thankyou  Undecided
thanks too to  >>> adiewoo. hope i don't have to come screaming for help.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

No.  The .net2  - .net3.5 is not intrinsically linked to SP2 (or SP3)  it refers to support for the Microsoft .net programming support.  If you are not into ASP programming or SQL Server reporting, there is a very good chance that you are not using .NET.   
There was a lot of hype around the use of SP3 particularly from corporate IT depts. with a large userbase to support.  As far as I am aware, this is now all in the past.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

firefly2
Grafter

@ MauriceC.
thankyou for clarifying the info on that download.
i think that i will delete.and then get the sce pack 3.
wish that i understood  a bit more . thanks again.
Denzil
Grafter

Just to clarify - .NET is a set of bits of code used by programmers to help them write software. .NET framework sits in the background on the PC, and allows programs to run that were written for it. In other words, you need it installed if you have an application that needs it. If you uninstall .NET, you might find something that doesn't work afterwards. If so, the application should give you an error message that .NET is missing, and you can just download a new copy and reinstall it.
As others have said, you should be fine with SP3.