Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unusable memory stick

hulls
Grafter

unusable memory stick

Hi
I went to a seminar yesterday, and all the presentations were provided on a 2Gb memory stick.  All very nice.  I've now copied the presentations on to my computer, where they'll be very useful.
I then tried to delete them off the memory stick, but they won't delete.  Tried to reformat the drive - won't format.  On looking at the disk on Windows, it has a size of about 1.8Gb,
Can't delete the partition.  On top of that, actually reading the stick is very slow, and if it's plugged in, I keep getting delayed write failed messages, even if I'm not actually reading or writing to the stick. I can't write to the disk either. (There doesn't seem to be a write protect switch either - so it's not that)
It's only a 2Gb stick, so its not a big deal, but I'm intrigued as to how they did it, and if it can be undone.
Any ideas?
John
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: unusable memory stick

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

If that is similar to the Sandisk U3 mechanism then you might find that this tool http://u3-tool.sourceforge.net/ will allow you to delete the CD partition on the memory stick and get the space back for normal read/write.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hulls
Grafter

Thanks Oldjim - that looks like it, but id so they had them made up very quickly.  I know for a fact that they didn't get one of the presentations until the day before the seminar! I also can't write anything to the stick.  It takes ages, then comes up with an error message.
John
hulls
Grafter

the U3 partition file didn't work
Embarrassed
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Oh well, it was worth a try...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hulls
Grafter

Of course it could just be a faulty stick  Roll_eyes
John
Ellis
Grafter

It may be protected with a password or some similar thing. If you could use a Linux Live CD to boot into a Linux system you could possibly circumvent the protection. A member of our computer group (a computer dealer) often does this when customers have forgotten their password.  Another way would be to boot "GParted" from a CD and delete the files with that.