Did you mean: 

unmountable_boot_volume

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

unmountable_boot_volume

Hi
I'm having a problem with one of my computers, that has got me at a loss.  It's blue screening everytime on boot after the windows logo (on XP Pro).
The error message is:
A problem has been detected and windows shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
***STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8666AA88,0xC0000006,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I've been through safe mode etc and get the same with that.
I tried to boot using the Windows CD to go into the recovery console, but after it goes through loading drivers etc... it says "Starting Windows" across the bottom, then flashes up with the 1st Windows Setup screen, then blue screen's with the error:
***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78E1524,0xC00000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
I've tried a new hard drive in the system with a new cable, but get the same errors.
Any suggestions from anyone?
Many thanks
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

15 REPLIES 15
Rikaitch
Grafter

Re: unmountable_boot_volume

Try resetting your bios to "failsafe defaults." It's a long shot, but it can help. Are you running a SATA drive in compatibility mode? Sometimes that can play up. Also, can you boot from a live Cd like ubuntu or Knoppix? If not, then suspect your IDE controller might be ill.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

I was thinking about the BIOS this morning.  I'll give that a go tonight.  It is a SATA drive (along with the CD writer), not sure about compatibility mode though.  I've not tried a live cd yet.  I might do one at work today and try at home tonight.  I've managed to boot to a linux based utility cd, which found problems on the hard drive, which is what prompted me to try a new one.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Rikaitch
Grafter

Just had a thought of a PC I did recently... As a last resort, or if you're very brave, try downloading the latest BIOS, and reflashing it. It's a nerve racking experience, but it can help. Just make 110% sure you have the right bios, because the wrong one would make your motherboard about as useful as a bodykit on a Lada.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

I've already downloaded one!  The most recent one on the dell site is only for windows, but I've downloaded the previous one, that I could do from a boot disk.  Was planning on getting it ready here, then checking if it is newer when I get home tonight.  If it is, and it works, I could always download and install the latest one when windows is back up and running.
Phil

samuria
Grafter

Its an unusual set of error messages normally the second parameter is 0xC0000032.
There are several possibilities
Unable to mount drive can be a boot sector virus the wrong driver for the boot volume (like trying to load a intel driver for AMD. The drive is corrupt.
The second part of the error is something not loading properly.
When you boot from the windows cd do you have the dell drivers for the disk controller? It gives you the option to press F6 and load drivers but you have to be quick and it looks to a floppy for them. If you can get these drives and see if you can get into recovery consul with it.
If you can once get recovery consul  up type
FIXBOOT
then try
fixmbr
and the final one
chkdsk c: /f
You may have to  reboot between these.
You could try the drive as a second drive in another pc and see if it can be read but could be dangerous if its a virus but being a boot sector virus it should activate.
If you could get a live AV cd and give that a go.
Check cables and reduce the bios to the failsafe if you have one.
Any new hardware added lately?  Try removing everything you can network, printers any plug in cards Disable any udma you can like the printer port
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks samuria
I've been playing with it a little more last night.  I disabled the raid option on the hdd controller (since its not using raid anyway), and managed to get into windows setup with a new hard drive.  I left it installing windows overnight, but didn't get the chance to check it last night.
I'll have another look at the dell site shortly to see if there are any drivers that I can load during set up to get into the recovery console.
There wasn't any hardware added before this happened.  Everything except keyboard mouse and monitor are disconnected as its in my office at home now.  It's usually in Church as it's the computer used to power the main projector.
I'll look around for some live AV CD's.  Anyone got any suggestions of a good one?
Thanks
Phil

pierre_pierre
Grafter

PC answers Mag issue 186 - July 08 had a DVD with lots of different Multimedia progs Not sue of the publication date.  (Personal Computer World current edition is dated October) it doesnt look like they are and non install but they are all free.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I'll look around for some live AV CD's.  Anyone got any suggestions of a good one?

Abreviations, dont we hate them?  You were mentioning video projection the wants, I assumed Audio Visual, but did you mean Anti Virus?  Huh
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks pierre
I may start asking some AV questions once I've sorted my other problem by installing an AV app!  Tongue
Phil

pierre_pierre
Grafter

um er maybe Cool  the current mag is 188, think if your are interested might be able to post them here for you, just checking file sizes or othe links.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

info if that is what you want  Crazy
DivX 6 Bundle
Product: DivX 6.8 Player and Codec Bundle 6.8
Company: DivX
Type: Codec
System: Windows 98/Me/2000/XP
Free your media and enjoy advanced interactive features with DivX for Windows. DivX for Windows includes the DivX Codec, the DivX Player, the DivX Web Player and the Stage6 Content Uploader Utility as well as 15-day trials of the DivX Converter and the DivX Pro Codec. The latest improvements and optimizations will help your media reach its full potential.
The DivX for Windows download includes:
DivX Player
DivX Community Codec
DivX Web Player
And free trial versions of:
DivX Converter (15-day trial)
DivX Pro Codec (15-day trial)
Users may purchase DivX for Windows ($19.99) and receive unlimited use of the DivX Converter and DivX Pro Codec. DivX playback is always free.
GOM Media Player
Product: GOM Media Player 2.1.9.3754
Company: Gretech
Type: Free
Requirements: Windows 2000/XP
GOM Player is a free multimedia player with popular video and audio codecs built-in. GOM Player supports file formats such as AVI, DAT, MPEG, DivX, XviD, WMV, ASF. Users don't have to install codecs separately. GOM Player is capable of playing incomplete or damaged AVI files by skipping the damaged frames. It can also play locked or partially downloaded files. Its other features include drag-and-drop support, HTTP streaming, editable skins, subtitling, overlay mixer, key remapping, enhanced filter rendering, real-time index rebuilding for AVI files and unicode support among others.
KMPlayer
Product: KMPlayer 2.9.3.1428
Company: KMPlayer team
The KMPlayer is a versatile media player which can cover various types of container format such as VCD, DVD, AVI, MKV, Ogg Theora, OGM, 3GP, MPEG-1/2/4, WMV, RealMedia, and QuickTime among others. It handles a wide range of subtitles and allows you to capture audio, video, and screenshots in many ways.
The player provides both internal and external filters with a fully controlled environment in terms of connections to other splitters, decoders, audio/video transform filters and renderers without grappling with the DirectShow merit system. Internal filters are not registered to user's system to keep it from being messed up with system filters.
Miro
Product: Miro 1.2.3
Company: Participatory Culture
Requirements: Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP
Play Almost Anything
Forget about the format wars. Miro can play MPEG, Quicktime, AVI, H.264, Divx, Windows Media, Flash Video, and almost every other major video format.

RealPlayer

Product: RealPlayer 11 Basic
Company: Real
RealPlayer is a multifunctional media player, not only does it play videos, it also handles music and other media types.
The new RealPlayer gives you the ability to download Internet video instantly to your personal video playlist. Grab videos from thousands of Web sites with just one click. Watch them whenever you want and wherever you want. You can even burn your greatest hits to DVD*. Find the Web video you want - and Real it in.
UltraPlayer Media Player
Product: UltraPlayer Media Player 2.112
Company: UltraCo
UltraPlayer plays MP3, WAV, CD audio, AVI, MPEG, WMA, and Internet radio streams. UltraPlayer features a dual-mode, intuitive interface with UltraSkins and visualization modules, allowing users to play, build, and manage playlists; tune to and record Internet radio streams; play video files and streams; search for music; convert CD tracks to MP3s, with the EasyMP3 module; convert MP3s to WAV files; set the SmartAlarm.
VideoLAN
Product: VideoLAN 0.8.6f
Company: VideoLAN
VLC (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
In other words, VLC is an universal video media player that will play almost every video file type in existence.

Zoom Player Standard

Product: Zoom Player Standard 5.02
Company: InMatrix
Zoom Player is a robust Media and DVD Front-End Player.
Zoom Player was designed to be simple at first glance while being remarkably dynamic and flexible when used to its full potential.
Zoom Player works in two modes. A Media mode which can play any file supported by DirectShow (any file which plays in MediaPlayer) and a DVD mode which uses pre-installed DirectShow DVD filters to play DVD content.
While some of the settings may seem intimidating, you can rest assured that the on-line help covers each function in detail. Be it Keyboard, Mouse or Remote Control, Zoom Player was designed for you.
Note: This program occasionally will open your web browser to the author’s site, reminding you that you can buy the PRO version.
Njal
Grafter

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks guys.
I think I've sorted it now.  Not sure how exactly, I tried so much!  I eventually managed to install XP on another drive.  When I was there I flashed to the latest bios.  I then played about in the bios for a while, and eventually managed to get to the recovery console with the original hard drive, where I can chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr etc...  After all that I managed to get into Windows, which was behaving a little stange.  I've now gone to an earlier restore point, re-installed Anti Virus, and left it this morning doing another disk check.  One thing I couldn't do last night was get in to Windows Update.  It was giving me a stange error, and the help was no use at all with it.  I'll look into that tonight though.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
Phil

Rikaitch
Grafter

Windows Update? I'm punting in the dark here, but maybe you have service pack 3, after upgrading. If so, Windows Update doesn't always work with really strange "Update failed to install" messages and the yellow shield then lets you know there's updates available. It's a real pain, but past experience meant I ended up here. It might not be the oddity you're encountering, but then again it might be.