Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two email addresses to two laptops same house

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

two email addresses to two laptops same house

How can I set up my wife`s laptop to receive her emails on her email address, (not yet allocated)  and my laptop to receive only my email on my email address.
Would the mail rules work? I am using xp she is on vista.
21 REPLIES 21
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Re: two email addresses to two laptops same house

Yes set up message rules so person1 only receives emails "sent to", "cc to" or "bcc to"  person1.
Set up person2 not to download emails "sent to", "cc to" or "bcc to" person1. Person2 will then get all other emails apart from those addressed to person1.  This would mean those sent to person2 as well as those sent to postmaster@username.plus.com etc
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The easiest option is to create a new mailbox for your wife. On your wife's laptop set up Windows Mail as per
http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/windows_mail.shtml
If the new mailbox was called 'Wife' then the Account Name to be input into Windows Mail will be 'Username+Wife'. The password will be that chosen when you set up the mailbox.
On your laptop, set up Outlook / Outlook Express to retrieve your email account(s) only.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: ruslyn
The easiest option is to create a new mailbox for your wife. On your wife's laptop set up Windows Mail as per

I have to disagree!  See this thread -
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,2453.0.html
It it beyond me why anyone needs to set up PlusNet mailboxes rather than use message rules.  This only reason I can see for this is if all users access their email by webmail and not a client such as Outlook or OE.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How do you set up Outlook to only retrieve and delete from the POP3 server only certain emails depending upon rules? I've used Outlook for a long time and wouldn't have a clue about that - all the rules I've seen are applied after the messages arrive in the inbox and hence have been removed from the server are are therefore no longer available for the other PC to pick up.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I use OE at home and this has the "Do not download from server" option.  At work I use Outlook on a corporate network so can't try it with POP3 accounts.
However see here...
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=545569
If anyone can try it with Outlook and POP3 not on an Enterprise server I would be interested to hear if it works.
The OP however is talking about a home set up I assume and will probably be using OE?
James
Grafter

I'd go with an additional mailbox personally.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The leave on server option is a menace - apart from clogging up the Plusnet servers we do see from time to time people who have had to reinstall their PC/email client who then get upset when they get the last 18 months of emails again!
shutter
Community Veteran

hello all,
Thanks very much for replies.....I am using OE  at home..... at the moment, my laptop is the only one configured for email. I think message rules only apply after they have arrived at the computer.  I intended to set up an email address for my wife, separate from my own.  However, I was wondering how the system would distinguish which laptop would receive which email address.
I am inclined to agree with Jelv regarding message rules. Once the messages are downloaded to computer A then computer B does not have access to them ....So it seems that seperate and different email addresses would possibly work, so long as the server knows the ip address? of the computer and can seperate the incoming emails accordingly?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree Huh
shutter
just got the latest post whilst typing this.... I don`t know what IMAP is, and I don`t think shutter wife would know how to retreive emails on the server...... Its got to be simple for me, and even simpler for her ! !
Shutter

jelv
Seasoned Hero

You are barking up the wrong tree!
On the portal go to Email Settings, Manage My Mail. Click Create New Email Address.
Step 1 enter the prefix used by your wife.
Step 2 select Deliver to a new mailbox with its own login and password
Step 3 specify the password which will be used by your wife.
All her email will now go in to a totally separate mailbox on the Plusnet servers - when you retrieve emails on your PC you will not get any of her mail.

On your wife's PC, when you enter the Account name, you enter username+wifesname and the password you created for her. She will then only collect her own emails.
See http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/outlook_express_video.shtml for a setup guide.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Just in case you are confused, PJ's post is a slightly different route for setting things up, but the end result is identical. It is step 8 in the instructions he linked where you enter username+wifesname
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
The leave on server option is a menace - apart from clogging up the PlusNet servers we do see from time to time people who have had to reinstall their PC/email client who then get upset when they get the last 18 months of emails again!

I'm not suggesting you leave on server for all time.
One set of rules leaves on server if not addressed to you and other set leaves on server if addressed to other person.
When both or all email recipients access their mail by OE all will be downloaded.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
I fail to see, where there are different recipients to the messages, why separate mailboxes are not the best solution.

Turn on catch all mailbox so you automatically get messages from postmaster and mis spelt email addresses etc.
I also use my catchall to use email addresses for on-line sites such as Amazon.
For example I register as "amazon@username.plus.com"
This way I can see where emails are from and if I get spammed I can block that email address.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

To put the way Nick is suggesting in to perspective - he is the only person I know who is doing it this way - everybody else is doing it the way PJ and I are suggesting.
Nick's solution is clever - but I'm not sure I'd be able to set it up and get it right first go myself.
The way PJ and I are suggesting is simple, the way Plusnet intended it to be done and should be easy to set up.
shutter
Community Veteran

Smiley Grin Smiley Grin
O.K. you guys.... !  Thanks a million for the replies....
I think I will go for Jelv`s solution, using step 1, 2, and 3. and see how it pans out from that.... I think that seems to be the most straightforward approach, and if I get any more problems, I know where I can get some help.
Great stuff.
Regards to all Merry Christmas....  Grin Grin Grin