cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trojan will not go

morgan2476
Grafter

trojan will not go

I have just run Avast home edition and it has detected a number of trojans. They cannot be deleted or moved to the chest. The result is as follows NAME OF FILE - C:\ system volume information\binary.vista.vbs    RESULT -  Infection. VBS:Agent-CM [Tri]    OPERATION  Error occurred moving file to chest.
Could someone explain how to deal with this.
Donald
8 REPLIES 8
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: trojan will not go

System Volume Information is "super-protected" as well as being hidden and a System folder.
It's used mainly by System Restore so chances are those Trojans are there as a "legacy" of previous installation versions and are just "archived" copies.
Just ignore them unless you're planning to use System Restore to bring them back.
David_W
Rising Star

This link tells you how to disable system restore which should delete all the files in that folder, you can then run your virus scan again which *should* detect nothing there, you can then turn system restore back on (but you'll lose all your previous system restore points in the process)
morgan2476
Grafter

Sorry, I should have stated that I am using xp.
Thanks
David_W
Rising Star

Okily, I'll look for an XP guide for you.  Simply put when you turn off System Restore it deletes all your previous restore points (and it looks like one of your restore points has the virus in it, and it can't be removed) when you switch it Off, the points are deleted, when you switch it back on again it *should* create a new system restore point for you.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405
Thats the way to turn it on/off in Windows XP
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Turning on system restore does not create a restore point, you must do that manually.
morgan2476
Grafter

I followed the instructions above and it worked except for one file which could not be deleted.
Thanks for the help in this matter
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Avast isn't all that good with spyware so it may not have removed all the malware on your computer.  I suggest you download and run SuperAntiSpyware (free edition), update it, run the Quick Scan and remove anything found.  Or you could try using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) which some people prefer. 
morgan2476
Grafter

I have run superantispyware and it found and deleted a number of files, however, when i ran avast again the same files were detected but I could not delete them.