Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transfer of folders to external hard drive

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

transfer of folders to external hard drive

As I have a large number of photos on an external hard drive I assumed it would be a simple matter to copy these files to a second external hard drive simply by dragging them across to the new drive.
No such luck.. all I get is a message.... calculating. On expanding the message box it shows nothing is being transferred.
An internet search shows that a number of other people have had this same problem (Windows 7 32 bit)
No problem with this when I was using XP !
Just out of interest I attempted to reformat the New external hard drive and got the message.... Windows cannot format this drive !
Up to now I have been impressed with windows 7 but after this I am less impressed.
What worked on an earlier version of windows should surely work on the latest version.
A  solution is on the microsoft website but surely this problem should not exist in the first place ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: transfer of folders to external hard drive

Of course it shouldn't, but 7 has bugs just like any other version of Windows.  Out of interest, and for the sake of completeness, could you post a link to the Microsoft solution?
artificer
Grafter

try selecting bunches of folders and use the copy function.
under no circumstances would i use the move function after i tried it, windows had a hiccup midway through the process and lost the files from both source and destination.
if that won't work, download and burn a linux livecd, perform checksum, burn to disk, boot and copy paste files using the file manager - dolphin, konqueror, nautilus, et al.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: ReedRichards
bugs just like any other version of Windows. 

Just like any software... Wink
Lurker
Grafter

robocopy is your friend. Smiley