cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to much protection

valart
Grafter

to much protection

I have Spyterminator,Adaware,CCleaner,Comodo firewall and Mcafee for my emails I noticed that startup is slow I just wondered if I have to many programs running and would it make my startup faster if I got rid of some of my protection.
6 REPLIES 6
samuria
Grafter

Re: to much protection

post a list of your startup and we can advise you which to get rid of
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Yep that'll slow you down, especially if you have other programs running that you are not aware of.
At startup, windows will try to run every startup program as soon as it can and due to hardware restraints (Hard drive speed, processor speed, memory bus speed etc) it can only deal with so much program code at any one time. Therefore due to the large amount of code your machine is trying to run at startup it is basically maxing itself out.
There are really only 2 ways around this - 1) Reduce the number of applications that are running at startup or 2) Wait longer for your system to stabilize before you attempt to use it.
Alternatively you could always upgrade to newer faster hardware but its only a matter of time before you manage to slow that down with startup apps too.
My main PC can boot XP Pro with SP2 in about 18 seconds when freshly installed. Once it's got all the junk installed it takes a a minimum of around 50.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Rich
Grafter

Also make sure that motherboard chipset drivers are up to date.  This made an older PC boot XP in less than 30 seconds, rather than about 5 minutes using those supplied on the CD.
valart
Grafter

Quote from: samuria
post a list of your startup and we can advise you which to get rid of
Thank you for your reply here is a list of my startup programs.
Mcagent C\Mcafee. Spamkiller. Sys Tray.pctspk exe.RunD1132 cmicnfg.mcupdate McAfee. qttask.Spyterminator.ESIOS2.ctmon.
I hope all this makes sence
ampdef
Grafter

Hi,
May I add some advice?  My pc took ages to bootup/startup, until I got rid of all software relating to:- Antispyware, Antivirus and firewall updates.  Ihave tried McaFee and Symantic, both slowed my pc.  I now run AVG Internet Security.  It has Antivirus, Antispam and Firewall built into one package.  This all works for me on an XP PRO with SP2.  AVG looks for updates after windows has started and has never caused my pc to run slow, also I use Register Mechanic to keep the registry clean, ie; installs and uninstalls.  I would say my pc takes, from POST to Desktop, approx 45-55 seconds.
Hope the above is of any help.
My pc consists of: 2Ghz Core 2, 1Gb 533Mhz memory, 2xGeForce 8600GT in SLI, 320Gb Seagate HD, Creative Audigy ZS Platinum Sound Card and a Netgear DG834G v3 Router.

netreg
Grafter

Quote from: ampdef

My pc consists of: 2Ghz Core 2, 1Gb 533Mhz memory, 2xGeForce 8600GT in SLI, 320Gb Seagate HD, Creative Audigy ZS Platinum Sound Card and a Netgear DG834G v3 Router.

I wished my laptop would start up that fast...  it takes a good 3 mins or so after logging in before i can start using it...  Roll_eyes