cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

time servers bst

scootie
Grafter

time servers bst

why dont time servers change to bst and we have to set it up are selfs in are routers config.
ive only checked the 1 server of plusnets and one at manchester uni as surrgested on kitz site

9 REPLIES 9
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: time servers bst

All time servers at set to GMT, you specify in your setup what to use as your timezone (GMT or UK time, if UK then it will switch to BST and back automatically, but if GMT then it stays at GMT)
If they were forever switching between GMT/BST/WHY then your system wouldn't know what was the correct time.  Cheesy
scootie
Grafter

sort of guessed that.
would be nice to have a server that sorted it out for me as this zyxel plays mind games in the logs. ive not had the right date or time yet reported
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Tick "Enable daylight savings time" - that ought to permanently fix it.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

scootie
Grafter

yep all ready had that option setup as you can see from the dates setup, i just wanted it off in the capture to show that the servers dont update to bst
VileReynard
Hero

(Wikipedia)
Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) is a time standard based on International Atomic Time (TAI) with leap seconds added at irregular intervals to compensate for the Earth's slowing rotation. Leap seconds are used to allow UTC to closely track UT1, which is mean solar time at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich.
The difference between UTC and UT1 is not allowed to exceed 0.9 seconds, so if high precision is not required the general term Universal Time (UT) may be used.
In casual use, when fractions of a second are not important, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) can be considered equivalent to UTC or UT1. Owing to the ambiguity as to whether UTC or UT1 is meant, GMT is generally avoided in technical contexts.
Time zones around the world can be expressed as positive or negative offsets from UTC; UTC replaced GMT as the basis for the main reference time scale or civil time in various regions on 1 January 1972.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Hehe, all Radio Amateurs have to log the time as GMT, not UTC  Crazy
(Well it was true last time I read me licence <long time ago> and I haven't been active for several years so nothing in my call book  :'()
I think UTC was chosen so as not to upset the yanks, not liking GMT Shocked  Tongue
VileReynard
Hero

Strictly speaking, we have moved on from specifying time at a particular place on the Earth as a reference to an "absolute" time, as measured by a atomic clock.
This means that just because the day-length of the Earth is increasing, that real time is not affected. Smiley
(Actually, according to Einstein time is relative...)

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: A
(Actually, according to Einstein time is relative...)

And tea time especially so  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

As long as you dont take your time signal fron Digital Radio you should be OK, it is often up to 5 seconds behind real time