cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thomson tg585v7 router

boone70
Grafter

thomson tg585v7 router

I have just fitted A Thomson Tg585v7 router which works fine on a XP PC connected by cable, also on a HP laptop by wireless. When I try to connect a second XP PC wireless it will not connect although it shows all available networks. I am using a MSI PC54G2 PCi card which works perfectly with my original Kcorp router. The PCI card is Wireless 11g, is this compatible with the thomson router. I have had a long conference with help and support and gone through all the obvious solutions without success. Any suggestions??????
PS I have just re fitted the old router which is working fine. The reason for changing adsl 2+
5 REPLIES 5
James
Grafter

Re: thomson tg585v7 router

Hmm.  I can't think of anything that would cause your wireless card to not see your new router.
I take it you've tried changing wireless channels and reinstall the card drivers?
Also take it that the router works when connected via ethernet?
paulby
Grafter

Try going into the router wireless security settings and selecting WPA explicitly (IIRC the Thomson will be set to WPA and WPA2 to be on together by default).  This solved a similar problem I had with one of these routers.
To get there you need to go to Home Network and then click on the wireless network in the router set up.
boone70
Grafter

Thanks James and Paul,  all works well with the ethernet cable, I have reinstalled the card but I don't know how to change the wireless channels.
I will try Pauls solution this evening and let you know how things go.
paulby
Grafter

Quote from: boone70
I have reinstalled the card but I don't know how to change the wireless channels.

You do this in the router's wireless settings. 
The Thomson defaults to "Automatic" for the channel selection (it should find the best one by itself).  You can set the value to any of the available channels manually by selecting it in the drop-down list. 
You don't need to do anything on the PCs - they'll find the right channel automatically.
boone70
Grafter

I got on the phone to the Thomson help line and spent a lot of time trying to fix the problem seemingly without success, BUT I left the PC running and to my amazment when I returned to it some time later I had an excellent connection which is still the case. Thanks again for your help.