Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tg582n or 2704n from fibre ethernet router to ADSL2

TimSmall
Grafter

tg582n or 2704n from fibre ethernet router to ADSL2

Hi,
Short version: Can I easily use either a tg582n or a 2704n (both of which were supplied for FTTC services) on a different Plusnet ADSL2+ connection?  If both, then which one is likely to give the best wifi reception (iffy signal in house with thick stone walls).
I have a FTTC connection to Plusnet.  I don't use the Plusnet router, but have replaced it with a TP-Link device running OpenWRT instead for various reasons.
I was supplied with a tg582n by Plusnet, and I've also been given a 2704n by a client (they were mistakenly sent two during their Plusnet fibre install).
I'd like to use one of them to replace a relative's ADSL2 modem (and old Netgear model), and keep the other one in case there are any future problems with the Plusnet FTTC, and they want me to use their router to diagnose.  I don't particularly mind which one I keep, as I won't be able to use it?
So, I'll need to:
1. Switch the router to ADSL (unless this is automatic)
2. Change authentication credentials to the relative's ADSL account
Possible?  I've got a good deal of hardware and software experience, (up to the level of writing simple Linux kernel device drivers), so no problems if it involves flashing different firmware versions etc, but I'd prefer to keep the stock Plusnet firmware for the sake of my relative, as they live a few hundred miles away, and I'd prefer them to continue getting support from Plusnet!
Cheers,
Tim.
1 REPLY 1
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: tg582n or 2704n from fibre ethernet router to ADSL2

So, I'll need to:
1. Switch the router to ADSL (unless this is automatic)
2. Change authentication credentials to the relative's ADSL account
The later TG582n firmwares 10.2.5.2.x http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/ had an option in the setup to select ADSL. You can enter the credentials manually. You need to get the router unlinked from your account though, in case your relative ever does a factory reset, since it would then automatically revert to your credentials. Online chat ought to be able to unlink it from your account given the serial number...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.