cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

talktalk coming out of my friends pn router??

Dekzion

talktalk coming out of my friends pn router??

An ancient friend of mine asked me to look at her internet connection.

Four floor building and her router is in her bedroom on the top floor. she bought a devolo extender but couldn't log in via laptop on the ground floor unless it was cabled to the extension.

Now,, showing on her laptop is 'connected to talktalk!' I thought it might be picking up from a neighbour or some other devolo so turned off the 'master' and 'no internet' ,,, plugged it back in and within a minute 'connected to talktalk'  Any idea how this is possible?? She used to have talktalk but dumped them a year ago.

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: talktalk coming out of my friends pn router??

@Dekzion 

It's not unknown for these to be shipped with the same network  password as a neighbours. It looks like this is being picked up by the master. If you read the manual you will find how to change it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

I suspect the extender detected the original network when it was installed and was configured to use the same ssid. Unless it's been reset , it will likely retain the old ssid , hence the 'talktalk' name. Ideally the extender should be reset and reconfigured.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dekzion

I'm quite happy as long as she has the net! I have pressed all the reset buttons on the units and held them in for a while. the real trouble is that she no longer has the cd which may or may not help, I've downloaded and printed pages 15 to 20 of the pdf manual and followed that but it didn't help.

Thanks for your replies guys, she can obsess awhile longer yet, at least she has something to bring up every five minutes on the phone.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

I get it now, thanks @MisterW .

What you need to do is download the Devolo Cockpit App. You can then select the WiFi extender and change the network name as required. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'