cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system s in my computer.what is it???

hoopaholic
Grafter

system s in my computer.what is it???

hi,,when i go into my computer in vista,,i see 2 drives,,vista c as normal,,and next to it i got system s, with around 1 gb of space,,im new to vista,any idea what it is?
many thanks...
hoopaholic...

6 REPLIES
Moominfish
Grafter

Re: system s in my computer.what is it???

Chances are it's something to do with this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766200(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_WhatIsBitLocker also check this forum http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=381019&page=2 I've linked to page 2 of the thread and you want to be looking at the last 3 posts on that thread as I'd be inclined to think it's definitely something to do with Bitlocker assuming your running Vista Ultimate?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Whatever it does, the name "System" is meant to imply that it is part of the computer system so should be left well alone.
Moominfish
Grafter

I disagree,
If it is something to do with 'Bitlocker' regardless of if it says "System" then it can be dealt with without causing any problems at all to your computer, obviously you'll need to know what your doing beforehand but that's a given.
Njal
Grafter

Moominfish
Grafter

The concensus would say leave it alone, in no small part because they don't know what to do to get rid of it, I can tell you now without a shadow of a doubt if that partition is to do with bitlocker and you don't use bitlocker it can be removed, I should know as I've done it, and all you need to do is get a partitioning utility such as Partition Magic (now owned by Symantec I believe) more information can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PartitionMagic and simply delete the partition as regardless if it says system or not it can be removed without causing any problems whatsoever if done correctly, and the reason it's called 'System' is simply because the partition has been setup as a 'System' partition not because it's an integral part of windows that you shouldn't remove, so just to be perfectly clear on this you CAN delete that partition without any problems but I must stress you need to know what your doing! Heck I'd even do it for you for free if I lived anywhere near by that's how certain I am that it can be removed.
And like I said as long as you know what your doing then nothing should go wrong, and if you really know what your doing then nothing will go wrong.
hoopaholic
Grafter

many thanks for reply