cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system restore

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

system restore

several days ago my broadband connection ceased working. Message came up in task bar...acquiring network address, followed by, this connection has limited or no connectivity the problem may have occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer. Modem lights were working and all cables had been checked to make sure they were secure.
Contacted plusnet by phone, advised to check firewall & virus scanner...switched both off, still no connection.....Then tried a repair but windows was unable to renew my IP address, so thank goodness for system restore.
Has anyone else had a similar problem to this or suggest any simple things I could have checked out before using system restore ?
12 REPLIES
PunKrocker
Grafter

Re: system restore

Yes, it happened to my friend and I repaired it with help ffrom TBB forum.  Assign your PC a static IP address and it will work usually.
"go to the properties of the lan connection, and then the properties of the tcp/ip stack, and put an IP in there of say the next one up (so could be 192.168.0.2) the netmask will be 255.255.255.0 and th gateway address will be the same IP as the router (so in my eg would be 192.168.0.1) fill in the dns, click OK"
Worked first time and still ok after 2 weeks.
Community Veteran

Thanks for that.
If it goes down again I will try that. The only problem with system restore is the loss of anything saved after the last system restore.
I noticed that the information box that came up also showed
Details 00-16-e3-e2-e1-9e and the submask 255.255.0.0 not sure if there was anything significant in these details.
Community Veteran

Often this is a symptom of the tcip stack being destroyed by adding some software that changes it like anti virus software or remote control software.
Next time try rebuilding the stack with winsock repair from
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html
download it now so you have it
PunKrocker
Grafter

This made no difference to my friends, I did try that before using a fixed IP
anmckendry

there is another known issue that can cuase this in the dslam - hard to detect client side. resetting port on dslam will resolve.
PunKrocker
Grafter

Who does the end user fix that?
Community Veteran

Thanks for the ideas.
How do you reset the port on DSLAM ? I dont understand that not being technically savvy.
In response to Samurai, I did add Nero 8 to my computer so its possible that might have affected something as this is the only change I remember making, apart from virus & anti spyware updates.
I will certainly download the winsock repair for future use.
anmckendry

:-( the user cant reset - only the DSLAM operator
PunKrocker
Grafter

So you mean the exchange, or is this a quiz?  :-)
pcoventry76
Grafter

The DSLAM is BT's territory.
PunKrocker
Grafter

Thanks for that info ;-)
pcoventry76
Grafter

Your welcome Smiley
It is a network device located in the exchange which detects and groups signals together - but also directs them to the right place. (so your voice and DSL signals don't get mashed up) It's these babys that make it possible for people to get ADSL no matter how far away they are..
it stands for Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer
and incase you wanted to see one - here is one in a rack.