cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system restore disk - HELP!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

system restore disk - HELP!!

Got a laptop, operating system is windows7. Forgot password.  Got a system restore disk, was told it would allow me to reset password.
Question is, how do I use it when I can't get past the opening screen? Another question is...have I been told wrong - will it not allow me to reset password?
can anyone help please?
An alternative is to format ,but how do I do that without password?
it's getting annoying now. The laptop is laughing at me - honest... Grin
11 REPLIES
Fixes: 50

Re: system restore disk - HELP!!

Community Veteran

thanks Strat, looks awfully scary to me. I may have to go that route. What I need is simple (simpler the better for me) solution. though to be honest, if I totally screw it up I am no worse than before.  Embarrassed
Fixes: 50

I've used a customised Linux boot disc before but the potential for disaster can be higher to the uninitiated.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

Community Veteran

my problem is i have forgotten password. Now I can't get onto it at all. i get advanced boot options, but the option to boot from cd/dvd is not there. just the usual safe mode options boot logging, last known config etc.So I have a system recovery disk, which I was assured would work, but no way of actually using it. Or are these hairs on my head really blonde, and i'm not actually going grey?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

You will need to change that in the bios
You will need to check in the manual to find which key to press to get there in the first stages of the boot up (before the Windows bit starts)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Are you sure you are not confusing a Password Reset Disc http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Create-a-password-reset-disk (which you would have created yourself) with a disc that will restore your computer to is Factory Settings (with the possible loss of all your files)?  System Restore refers to a process of restoring the computer settings to a (recent) previous sate and never uses a disc.
If you want to follow the method linked by Strat (which I have never tried myself) you should be able to do this by selecting "Repair your computer" from the advanced boot options.
Community Veteran

All done thanks.. Smiley
After rooting around the internet, I found how to do a factory restore (reset?). Press and hold power button. Loses all files ( about 20 games of spider solitaire) and restores computer to condition it was in when I got it out of the box. Now I just have a list of things to do: install Firefox :install Microsoft security essentials : install malwarebytes : delete Norton antivirus : just for starters.
But hey, I'm happy. now just got to change the screen.  Cheesy Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: ReedRichards
System Restore refers to a process of restoring the computer settings to a (recent) previous sate and never uses a disc.

Without appearing pedantic there most definitely IS a method of running System Restore from a CD (or sometimes from a Utility partition).
It's extremely useful if the system is sufficiently "messed up" that booting it in the normal way isn't practical.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Quote from: ReedRichards
System Restore refers to a process of restoring the computer settings to a (recent) previous sate and never uses a disc.

Didn't put this too well; I meant that it never uses information stored on a disc.  You can certainly use a disc to initiate the process (from Windows Vista onwards).  But the actual settings are always stored on the computer. 
JamesM
Grafter

Why isn't it possible to delete my post when I write something that turns out not to be relevant after reading the OP again. Or am I just missing something ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You can use the "modify" link.... top right of your post... then delete the text/part of text
then just type in deleted  and repost...
simpls Cheesy