cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suspicious security alert, showing three or four times a week

villagecanvases
Dabbler

suspicious security alert, showing three or four times a week

I am regularly getting a security alert popping up.  It completely blocks all actions, but if I press OK in response to instruction to phone them, then quickly get Task Manager, I can get rid of it.  There is no indication of where it comes from, but the heading says
19-itraaffrffrfm.tf with the instruction Wait!
Has anyone else had this?  Can anyone help get rid of it?  Simple instructions, please.  I am a bit of an old woman (literally!)
Thanks
25 REPLIES 25
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: suspicious security alert, showing three or four times a week

You need to run a full security scan
A start would be MalwareBytes https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Firstly if you have an antivirus program run it on "full scan" while thats doing its thing download that program in the above link, install it and wait for the virus scan to finish then run a full scan via MalwareBytes program, its more than likely you have some spyware on your pc and those 2 programs should fix the issue. Try not to worry Wink The MalwareBytes program/app will scan your pc and if it finds anything it will highlight them and at the end of the scan it will ask you if you would like to remove them, it might pick up a few... remove them and then run the scan one more time.  It may ask you to reboot your pc about removing the spyware if found Smiley Keep the MalwareBytes program on your pc and use it once a week or month what ever u wish, also good to install it onto any laptops u may have its a good free bit of gear.

Just incase you dont have a free antivirus ... try this one Smiley https://www.avast.com/en-gb/index
villagecanvases
Dabbler

Thank you for your responses.  I had already scanned with Malawarebytes and AVG with nothing at all showing up.  Could this be something to do with the Windows 10 OS?  ie. something internal rather than external?
St3
Aspiring Champion

are you able to take a screenshot of this when it next appears ?
villagecanvases
Dabbler

I'll try!
St3
Aspiring Champion

when the message pops up again press the "print screen" button on your keyboard next to f12, then open up windows paint and click on paste, edit in paint to remove any private stuff so that the screenshot only shows the error.
Then save the screenshot as jpeg to your desktop, then close down paint :)P
When u reply to this post you can attach the screenshot if you want people on these forums to view it, make sure the screenshot u attach has no private stuff on it from your desktop Smiley
villagecanvases
Dabbler

when I said, I'll try, it was because this notice locks up everything, both on the web and on the keyboard.  However, I should be able to take a photo of the screen that will be OK.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: villagecanvases
..., then quickly get Task Manager, I can get rid of it.

If you can kill it using Task manager what is the name of the process you kill? This may well be a clue in its own right.
St3
Aspiring Champion

what antivrus program u running ?
villagecanvases
Dabbler

Hi everyone
It came back this morning and I've got a nice clear photo of the screen.
I am using AVG free and Malawarebytes paid for.
Not sure how to upload file.  I've chosen it, but not sure if it's uploaded.  If it hasn't I'll try again.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

My grandson has a profile on my PC which he logs into when visiting.
He had this on Microsoft Edge browser and it took some getting rid of.
His browser was hi-jacked when he visited the Agario game site mentioned here
I visited this site and did the 'Hosts' edit advised (scroll down the page) which enabled me to get into the browser settings and remove the nasty stuff like the default opening page change.
PS Forgot to mention, I switched off my router to prevent the malware phoning home while I got rid of it.
PPS Malwarebytes and full Kaspersky scans failed to find anything.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
St3
Aspiring Champion

Well done for uploading the screenshot Smiley its clear from that you have spyware/spam .......... like strat said you need to go to internet properties and delete the default opening page as its loading that spam up you are seeing. Look for default page it will prob show u that url page thats on the screenshot and it mostly likely to be long url full of rubbish. Hightlight it and delete it all then add www.yahoo.co.uk or whatever page you want as your default loading page.
What can sometimes happen is when you click on website or download legit programs sometimes sites have tiny small print that says if you visit this site or download this program we will change your default webpage, this is often hard to see as they do it so sneeky.
From what ive seen i dont think theres anything for you to worry about it looks like pure spam/spyware, you may want to also delete your cookies you should be able to do this in the internet properties bit where you remove that dodgy link.
These links will guide you
Changing default loading page >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qAWKlgOZgg
Clearing cookies/history >>>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WDHgN72CUY also this link for clearing in chrome >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kJvSmlLC28
There is a cool little program called ccleaner thats good for clearing cookies and removing history you dont really need it but its very handy for cleaning cookies and other stuff. If intrested download it here https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard
When downloading it always pick the free copy, i seen you had paid for malwaybytes i should have told u its free sorry for that, but all in all its a good program so if you have paid for it, its prob a good thing too... i only use the free copy.
Check those things out and see how you come along, if you ever see this kinda stuff again then always run antivirus scan then malwaybtes and then check that your default page aint been changed and if so change it to what u want then clear cookies/history.  Those are all the things i would do first Smiley
Let us know how you get along and if theres anything else your unsure about just ask, as we are all here to help each other stay safe on the web Tongue
villagecanvases
Dabbler

Hi there
I've done all this and just waiting to see if the pesky notice appears again.  If it does and I manage to get Task Manager, I'll note the address.  I have noticed that on settings (win7), my opening page seems to change every time I look, so I'm keeping an eye on that.
Fingers crossed.
villagecanvases
Dabbler

It turned up again this morning.  All that is said on Task Manager was 'Google security notice' which wasn't very helpful.  However, I have decided to change from Chrome browser to Commodo Dragon which is based on Chrome to see if that stops it.  Apparently Commodo has additional security blocks, so, yet again, fingers crossed.