cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surge protecter advice needed

scootie
Grafter

surge protecter advice needed

whats the best surge protects that also keep equimpment like a router powered for a period of time during power outage as this house am now in loves triping the main fuse esp the cooker 2 rings max or it trips and now the babys sterliser (seems to have given up the ghost due to a greedy little madam) has bein triping it which took awhile to work out was triping it out and the routers now had the power cut on off quickly about 10 times (yep i forgot to unplug it before finding what was triping everything out)
any advice on what and which make model are best would come in very handy.
ad say 5 mins of power time would be fine to get the power back up and running
5 REPLIES 5
Rich
Grafter

Re: surge protecter advice needed

Have a look here...
http://cpc.farnell.com/ups-uninterruptible-power-supplies+521?isRedirect=true
I've ordered a few times from CPC and they've always impressed - good service, prices and quality.
Richard
MrC
Grafter

Perhaps worth getting your house wiring checked out?
Denzil
Grafter

The average 500 - 600VA UPS is designed to run a PC for 5 or 10 minutes - long enough to save your work and shut down. If you only want to power the router (I assume you are using a laptop?) then even the smallest, cheapest UPS will keep it going for ages.
scootie
Grafter

would be useful to have my desktop on ups to, but for space and monney having ups for just router would do.  Its due to being  on 63db worth of atten that i really need the router covered, thankfuly the PO supplied router is a zyxel and seems to have a fixed 6db NM as my netgear dg v3 syncs with diffrent NM's.
cheers for the advice, havent had anything to do with UPS before so am pretty clueless
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Most UPSs use a 10A IDC power connector picture C13 & 14 with 14 connectng to the UPS outlet) whereas most routers use a power brick / 13A plug so you are going to have to do some rewiring to just connect a router to the UPS (unless your router uses a kettle type power lead). You can get UPSs with a 13A socket but they tend to be more expensive and limited in choice.
They are designed to run PCs which use the kettle style connectors and you usually get the cables to connect to PCs / monitors with the UPS.