cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

standard broadband from plusnet and using a privately bought BT T4000 set top box

FIXED
JohnWeston
Hooked

standard broadband from plusnet and using a privately bought BT T4000 set top box

I subscribe to Plusnet getting their standard broadband and phone service, currently using just a cheap HD freeview box. Everything great, but I've just bought a new BT T4000 Humax box with ultra HD facility. I haven't set it up yet and I'm wondering if I'm going to experience any problems when connecting the new box to TV and my PC internet connection. I get great pictures with only a roof top aerial at present.Am I opening pandoras box with my new proposed set up ? I'm not willing to upgrade to Plusnet's Freeview package.

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: standard broadband from plusnet and using a privately bought BT T4000 set top box

What is the Freeview box you are currently using?

Your Plusnet broadband and phone line has nothing to do with your TV / radio reception or interactive services. Freeview is freeview. Now if you were using a YouView box, then yes, you would probably have problems.

JohnWeston
Hooked

Re: standard broadband from plusnet and using a privately bought BT T4000 set top box

Yes I understand that freeview is separate. The BT T4000 Humax made box includes youview and freeview, but my concern is that once plusnet detects I'm using a BT box and it has not supp;ied me with this box, they will block some of my access to features. I understand that plusnet is part of the BT group

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Fix

You should be able to use the standard features of the box, you just won't be able to use any Plusnet features or channel packs.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
JohnWeston
Hooked

Thanks Chris, that's what I had thought. I just didn't want the box connection to be blocked. I've bought this ultra HD box with a view to upgrading my tv soon to show 4K ulta HD. At £80 brand new in box was a good buy I think and then I'll have bight the bullet and upgrade my plusnet to youview.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

what 4k content are you expecting to get on the box?
only BT sport offers "some" 4K content but i believe you have to be with BT to get that.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Netflix also offer 4K content (need 25 megabits per second or higher.) as do Amazon via Fire TV

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chenks76
All Star

but is it offered on the bt box that the OP has.
the fact that amazon offer it via fire tv is irrelevant in this discussion.

as the OP said..

@JohnWeston wrote:

Thanks Chris, that's what I had thought. I just didn't want the box connection to be blocked. I've bought this ultra HD box with a view to upgrading my tv soon to show 4K ulta HD. At £80 brand new in box was a good buy I think and then I'll have bight the bullet and upgrade my plusnet to youview.

DaveyH
Champion

JohnWeston
Hooked

Thanks Davey, there sure are  lot of goodies withy this box

chenks76
All Star

interesting choice of words on that page

"That means BT subscribers who also pay for top tier Netflix membership can access Ultra HD versions of shows"

does that mean you have to subscribe to BT for that function to be enabled?

my sony TV has 4k netflix and 4k amazon built-in (it's an android tv device).

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If you have subscribed to the Netflix 4k service, and your TV supports 4k Netflix, then *as long as your broadband has a good enough performance* 4k should work just fine.

I have a Samsung 4k TV, a Netflix 4k account, and a 65 meg internet, and it works just fine.

Below are the Internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing TV shows and movies through Netflix.

• 0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
  • 1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
  • 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
  • 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
  • 25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality
chenks76
All Star

we were talking specifically about the bt youview box though.
paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Very fair comment!

My brother is with BT and has a BT YouView box, and the Netflix setup there is an app, and seemed to be independent of ISP, so I would imagine it would work fine with PlusNet.

Not sure how well the actual TV stuff would work (it would be interesting to hear), I could possibly see issues with what gets shown on the Programme Guide, as the "extra channels" information could be being picked up from an unavailable BT server.