cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sound interference between laptop and SmartTV.

74kmax

sound interference between laptop and SmartTV.

I use my laptop connected to my SmartTV by an HDMI in order to view streamed concerts, or stored theatrical productions.  The TV is linked into my stereo sound system.
If I keep my laptop to mains power., even if it is plugged in to a socket at the far side of the room from the TV, there is a considerable buzzing and hissing from the stereo speakers.  If I use it just on battery power the sound stops.
If it is a long play or concert the battery is not quite enough to last through the performance.
Is there any way to prevent/cure this noise interference?
I would be very grateful for any help.
Many thanks in advance, and apologies if there has already been a psoting about this.  I did a search but couldn't find anything.
4 REPLIES 4
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: sound interference between laptop and SmartTV.

Same issue with my FM radio, down to the power supply it needs to be in a metal case to shield the TV from its interference
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

The source of interference is probably the mains transformer block on the Laptop power supply...
you could have a read of this, and try to make a filter as described....
http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/Power/mainsfilter.htm
74kmax

Many thanks both for your replies.
I'll try the metal box first, if I can find one.
I think the second post about a filter is a bit too complex for me, but I'll see if the local electrician can help with it.
The only other solution will be to rely on the battery lasting at least until an interval, then plugging in the power for a half hour to allow it to re-charge before continuing on battery power.
Many thanks,
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

As its a smart TV does not do DLNA/have a streaming client app (like plex for example) to allow you to stream media from your PC.