cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

some files will not open

morgan2476
Grafter

some files will not open

I ahve all my files on one partition to make it easier to backup.  Some files will not open, word jpeg etc.  However if I use a program called unlocker and move the files to the desktop they open OK.  Has amyone any idea what causes this?
5 REPLIES 5
Denzil
Grafter

Re: some files will not open

So what happens exactly when you try to open a file? Do you get an error message?
Is this the same <a href="http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Unlocker.shtml">Unlocker</a> that tells you what processes are using a file? (Very useful app, by the way if you get those annoying messages that you can't delete or rename a file because it is still in use.) What process is using the files?
morgan2476
Grafter

The messages vary depending on the type of file -
"The system cannot find the file specified"
"Wrong path"
And when I try and open a file through paperport I get the message that the file is to large and that I should try and reduce the size.  Yet when I open a paperport file direct from the directory I get the same message but then I use unlocker to move the file to the desktop and it opens fine.  The strange thing is it only affects some files.
samuria
Grafter

It suggest that some of the files or disk is corrupt. Open a cmd prompt ie start run type cmd press return in the window type chksk c: /f it may say it cant run as the disk is locked and ask do you want to run at startup say yes to this. When you reboot it will check the drive. Let us know if it finds errors
morgan2476
Grafter

Hi samuria, i don't think it is the disk as I am able to open most files.  There just seems to be a problem with a random number of files.
samuria
Grafter

If there is corruption of the file structure then some files would be marked wrong and hence show errors. So a quick test of the hd test for these errors and fixes them there is nothing to loose and if its ok it rules out corruption. The corruption would effect random files depending were they were on the disk