Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

software does not appear to uninstall

journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

software does not appear to uninstall

I recently upgraded some mapping software.
The upgrade version is not working correctly so I want to go back to the old version.
The old version needed to be uninstalled before I installed the upgrade (which I did correctly).
I uninstalled the upgrade, (Start>controlpanel>addremove programs)  and remove said program which appeared to work OK.
But when I try to install the old version, I get a response saying version 9.x is not uninstalled.
Yet it does not appear under control panel.
Is there a utility I should be using to clean up?
3 REPLIES 3
Denzil
Grafter

Re: software does not appear to uninstall

Quite a lot of software is not very good at uninstalling completely, and leaves bits behind.
First, have a look through your C: drive and delete any folders that belong to the software. Look in directly under C:, and in C:/Program Files (assuming you are using XP).
Next download and install <a href="http://www.ccleaner.com/">CCleaner</a>. Run a Registry scan, and it should find and get rid of any leftover registry entries.
barky
Grafter

not that long back I discovered Revo Uninstaller - it runs the standard uninstaller that came with the program you want to remove/update etc -- then cleans up any leftover bits like in registry
seems to work OK for me!
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I agree Revo Uninstaller works very well.  Sometimes it does not remove registry entries if the program has already been uninstalled.  It is sometimes necessary to install Revo, then reinstall the problem program, and then uninstall the problem program with Revo.