cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow start up

valart
Grafter

slow start up

If I disabled all the startup ticks in my System Con Utility window would it make my startup faster or would I have a problem with this action and if I do this can I relace the ticks back with these programs.
5 REPLIES 5
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: slow start up

Wow! be very careful, best advice at this time don't tick anything until you've heard from much more experienced forum users than I. In essence yes, you can speed things up, but you can also do an awful amount of damage as well, possibly making it impossible to get your operating system to open at all.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

First what version of Windows are you using, including Service packs.
Second download a copy of Spybot search & destroy, enable advanced mode and enable system startup in the tools section. This will then give you details about the start-up apps on your system and what they are used for.
With spybot, you can disable and re-enable start-up items to see what affect you have BUT as stated above, you really have to know what you are doing as many security apps add start-up entries so they can load and protect your system when it starts up and Windows also adds start-up apps so your system actually works properly. Note: Do not disable any Winlogon entries!!!
Third, what System Con utility are you referring to?
Fourth, what is the spec of your PC - in particular CPU speed and amount of memory. Having too little memory can seriously affect start-up speed. For XP you need at least 512MB and ideally 1GB. Adding more memory if you have less than 512MB can have a dramatic speedup.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Peter
First what version of Windows are you using, including Service packs.
Second download a copy of Spybot search & destroy, enable advanced mode and enable system startup in the tools section. This will then give you details about the start-up apps on your system and what they are used for.

Peter, In spybot help it goes into some detail of what the colours mean with the entries:
Red: malicious program
Green: legitimate program
Yellow: unknown, unneeded or unambiguous program (e.g. malware programs might use the same file name as legitimate programs)
But it doesn't say what the far more numerous white (no colour) are, should these be left untouched? for instance MS Office appears in the white lists, which personally I would happily disable at startup, as it's probably the single biggest source of slow boot, and I don't use it much these days. I would be quite happy to put up with the slightly slower opening of Word, Excel etc, presumably this would effect mail attachments as well?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You really need experience of the start up process and lots of applications to decide what is safe to stop running at startup. This is not something that can be explained on a forum.
White just mean spybot does not know about it or its a system process (like all the winlogon ones) and should be left alone unless you do know what the process is for and is safe to stop.
One thing spybot allows you to do is untick an entry which stops it running the next time you start your PC. If you then find after a reboot something is not working, go back and tick the entry again.
scootie
Grafter

i had same prob few months ago with vista. disabled programs like win messenger ect. made little difference. even thoe my laptop was pretty new i checked for up to date drivers for things like graphics chip set ect. and installed newest verison on a few things and that speeded up my start up time loads.
best im going to get as i only have 1gb mem.
if u can afford to allways get more mem to speed things up.